Basic Mixing Help

NobleSavage

Please help me. The mix sounds ok, but it doesn't have any 'punch' or 'polish' to it and I have no idea how to add that little something extra.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/4/1377/singles.shtml

The song is Kung Fu Grip. It's in the Doom/Stoner rock genre. Now, I'm very happy with the song itself. I'm also happy with the performance, for now, and yep, I know the drum gets hinky during the b section, so that's already been fixed, but the overall sound is not where I want it. I want a raw sound, but I still think it needs something.

Any mixing assistance would be greatly appreciated and please keep it as close to simple as possible in describing what I need to adjust, because I'm basically learning as I go.

A little Sabbath influenced there, freakboy? Meets Butthole Surfers? I'll never be able to look at a GI Joe in the same way. Thanks a lot. Cool tune tho.

The lead guitar should be turned up when it kicks in around 1:40 a bit and the delay effect on it sounds a bit lame. It sounds good toward the end of the song.

What's up with those drums? Something nutty happens at 2:54 then the train derails for awhile then hops back on track aways down. Whack.

thanx for the listen! The drums were soundfont through Sonar and when i was turning them into wav, i was also doing too many other things on the pc, hence the timing issue, but fortunately that was an easy one to fix.

I'll give the solo a different mix, which is gonna be pretty painless cuz I needed to tighten it up anyhow.

The overall sound of the track just doesnt sound right too me though.

The mix sounded OK to me. Maybe it's the recording of one or more instruments that are bothering you . Solo each track and take a good listen. Maybe you'll hear what it is that's bothering you. That's what I usually do. Sometimes I'll find a hurried track that came out less than perfect that may be fixed by EQ, compression, editing, etc. sometimes I'll re record the track. That's usually what it comes down to in my situation.

It really does sound "sabbathy" but not sab with Ozzy.. more like something off 'Born Again.' I listened to both of your songs and there's some great stuff, but the sound needs some help. There's some vocal clipping and the drums really hurt this. I like the pitchshifted guitar,but I don't know if you should use it for every song. I like the 'Iommi" feel to the leads, but this needs something. I wish I knew how to tell you what it was. Nice heavy feel to your songs. Hopefully someone hear can help you with the sound.

I really like the song writing..... It's nice to hear this here.:)

Good Job:cool:

doh! Definitely need to redo the vocals. On the drums, is it the out of time bit on Kung Fu Grip that gets you, or is it the tone or what? They are definitely a problem area.

btw - the guitars are detuned down to C, no pitchshifting.

The basic influences on those tracks would be the first couple of Black Sabbath albums and the first couple of Kyuss albums, and the songs are a blatant attempt to create something that could be a throwaway from those sessions. I'm trying to bust out of a creative slump by trying to do something a bit more simple, and this genre seemed ideal for it. And the cool part is that is worked, it's opened up my head for some song ideas on my main project.

Thanks so much for the comments, they've given me something to work with as I redo these.

Back