Basic MIDI Connection Question...

Richie Woods

I want to run this by you guys before I start taking apart my studio setup...

Okay, I want to have my Synth, PC Sequencer (n-Track), and Digital Stand Alone (Korg D8) all connected and "talking" together via MIDI.

My diagram shows my "ins and outs" (the PC is thru a breakout cable via the joystick port).

I realize I can have the synth as the master and the sequencer as the slave. How can I utilize my stand alone in this situation? Can I connect it to the master via the MIDI THRU?

Basically I would like to be able to track guitars and bass through the stand alone and have those tracks sent to the sequencer to be in sync with the keys and drums.

Maybe the Stand Alone can be the master?

Your thoughts on what I can do with what I have got would be greatly appreciated!

Technically newbie Richie;)

Attachments

• midi.jpg
    midi.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Maybe it is just a dumb question, but hey...I am guilty of being a musician not a techno guy. And besides, I did spend a whole three minutes on that sweet diagram. ;)

Tomorrow I will experiment with those three items (I will finally have some time at home).

(hmmm...when will that "newbie" name change under my name?)

You'll need to use Midi Time code, Midi sync, or SMPTE to sync up audio - you'll have to see what your devices support.

Anything without a midi-thru jack will usually have a midi-thru mode that can be set - when it's on, your out jack works like the summation of an out jack and a thru jack.

It should be possible to do what you're talking about - you'd need your audio tracks and midi sync track sync'd up on the D8, the rest should be cake...

You'll stop being a newb after 50 posts, I think.

Daf

Thanks Daf. They use MTC, so I should be okay. With a little experimentaion, I think I'll be alright. It is just a matter of getting my hands on the situation. I have been at work all weekend and today as well and I just start thinking and thinking about the changes I want to make. Thanks again.

This is how I see your Diagram for the Korg to be master.

The out of the korg to the in of the PC.
The out of the PC to the in of the Keyboard
The out of the keyboard to the in of the Korg.

All your devices must be able to use MTC in order to work.
:cool:

duck said:
This is how I see your Diagram for the Korg to be master.

The out of the korg to the in of the PC.
The out of the PC to the in of the Keyboard
The out of the keyboard to the in of the Korg.

All your devices must be able to use MTC in order to work.
:cool:
Very cool. After doing some reading of manual(s), that is what I have concluded myself. I am a couple cables short of what I need, but when I get them I'll give it a go...thanks for the input! Oh yeah, they are all MTC. I'm good to go.

Back