Basic Equipment to record on computer

NailBunny

What is the basic equipment that I need for recording on the computer? Spefically electric guitar/bass. Drums and vocal info is also appretiated.

Alll you really need is a computer, soundcard and recording software. That will let you plug your guitar in and play. However, it is advised that you get some other bits and bobs to make the sound quality better.

I would first suggest getting a mixing console - you can use this to plug your instruments in and use it for mixing and setting up sounds - direct instruments into the soundcard sometimes sound a little flaky.

Anyway - I would suggest getting a half decent soundcard - I use a Soundblaster Live which is quite old but has the LiveDrive with jack sockets for pluging instruments in - you can get a much better card quite cheap now. As for software, Magix Audio Studio is pretty decent and pretty cheap (cost me £30) although I use Cubase now.

Hope this helps.

Jono

NailBunny said:
What is the basic equipment that I need for recording on the computer? Specifically, electric guitar/bass....

What is your budget?

What are you trying to accomplish?

What level of quality are you seeking?

What kind of music are you creating?

How many inputs / outputs do you need?

Give us some more info........ :D

Peace...

spin

Sorry about that, I've been gone since I've posted. But here's the answer to your questions SPINSTERWUN. My Budget I would say hopefully no more than $2000. I'd be creating some heavy metal music. As for quality, hopefully something better than garage quality. I want to at least be able to hear all the instruments. Inputs/Outputs: I don't know... Input is where you plug in the instrument? What would you use the output for?

For decent metal recordings, some of that money should be going towards getting a good metal guitar sound. The options here are a plenty but basically involves a decent guitar and a decent amp or amp modeller (even better still, get both: a tube amp and perhaps a johnson j station or something from line6 or digitech)..

You may also want to think of a good mic (an SM58 is a wise investment: its an ok vocal mic, but unscrew the ball cap and you essentially have an SM57, which is a great basic guitar mic), which will facilitate the need for a mic preamp. The mic preamp isn't just needed for microphones. You can plug your bass guitar directly into it with the output going into the pc, providing a decent bass sound (or, if you want a better tone, you can drop a bass amp modeller in between the bass and the preamp as well)..

I know you specifically stated you were looking for the right stuff to record to pc, but all you need to basically accomplish that is a pc, soundcard, mic and a mic preamp.. for metal music, particularly guitar, you will need decent gear to get a decent sound before you even click on the record button.

Input is where you would plug the preamp. If you plan on recording all the tracks in the pc and burning it to CD, you will only need to worry about one output which should go to your pc speakers (or better yet, your studio monitors, hooked up to either a stereo receiver or a dedicated amp. In fact if you don't have studio monitors I would SERIOUSLY consider purchasing a pair before you start recording).

Cy

Back