Basic DAW signal chain question

lmiller1220

My noob-ness abounds, but I am what I am (for now... practice, practice).

Question:
Any drawbacks to following signal path (not whether you like the particular brands, just the path itself):

Mic --> into RNC (Really Nice Compressor) --> into soundcard input (M-Audio FW 410) --> into DAW (Sonar 4)?

In other words, besides the obvious potential drawback of "printing" the signal with compression, any issues re: levels, A/D, etc.? Thanks!

P.S. I'm assuming that recording direct into M-Audio (no compressor) and then later taking out from Sonar to FW 410, back through RNC and back in would add another layer of D/A and A/D conversion, right? Yes, I have some plug-in compressors, but I dig the hands-on and sound of the RNC...

Gracias,

LM

you need a preamp before the compressor
mic--->mic pre...always, then where you go afterwards is up to you. the compressor accepts line level signal.

that in mind, going compressor into the computer isn't a bad idea as long as you are okay with not being able to undo the compression you did during recording. however, going back out to compressor during mixing won't degrade your sound too much. true there is an extra d/a/d conversion...but probably won't be noticeble to anyone's ears, people do this all the time.

bennychico11 said:
that in mind, going compressor into the computer isn't a bad idea as long as you are okay with not being able to undo the compression you did during recording.
This is necessary if you are trying to limit the input signal. There are many (myself included) who would argue that with 24 bit recording, there is a lot more headroom available so you needn't record as hot as you used to have to with analog or 16-bit digital. If you find yourself needed to limit the input signal, you have to do it in the analog realm.

fraserhutch said:
This is necessary if you are trying to limit the input signal. There are many (myself included) who would argue that with 24 bit recording, there is a lot more headroom available so you needn't record as hot as you used to have to with analog or 16-bit digital. If you find yourself needed to limit the input signal, you have to do it in the analog realm.

i agree

(x10 characters)

bennychico11 said:
you need a preamp before the compressor
mic--->mic pre...always, then where you go afterwards is up to you. the compressor accepts line level signal.

that in mind, going compressor into the computer isn't a bad idea as long as you are okay with not being able to undo the compression you did during recording. however, going back out to compressor during mixing won't degrade your sound too much. true there is an extra d/a/d conversion...but probably won't be noticeble to anyone's ears, people do this all the time.
Thanks-gotcha. So let me run this by you to make sure I'm 100%:

1) mic-->mic pre (I have outboard pres, but for this example let's say I am using pres that are on the inputs of the M-Audio FW 410 )

2) mic pre FW 410 -->compressor-- then what?

Since the M-Audio is Firewire direct into PC, would I take output of the compressor and then route it back into another input on the M-Audio?

Sorry if I am overcomplicating things;likely I will normally just go straight in (mic-->mic pres-->Sonar) and do any compression on the software side, but it's good to know one's options. I appreciate the help!

lmiller1220 said:
Since the M-Audio is Firewire direct into PC, would I take output of the compressor and then route it back into another input on the M-Audio?

yep. more expensive interfaces will have something called an insert which allows you to do this easier....but for you, you'll have to go out then back in to the FW410

Back