Based on a description...What is this?

Noplasticrobots

Last night I was at a 311 show and I noticed a peculiar thing on stage right. It looked like snare drum sized head placed vertically on a mic stand. Mounted in the center of this was a clear plexiglass tube about 18 inches long with what looked like 1/2 inch wide aluminum tape wrapped around it in a barber pole striped fashion. There was only one on stage. Anyone have a clue what this is?

It definitely wasn't a rototom. There was only one, and it was mounted about 6 feet in the air on a mic stand. No one played it. In fact, no one touched it the whole time before, during or after the show. I initially thought it was some sort of weird microphone.

Imagine a drum head mounted vertically with a long clear tube sticking out of it. Here's an ascii side view:

|| <- drum head looking thing (about 3/4 inch thick)
||
||===== <- plexiglass tube (open end)
||/ / / / / <- aluminum tape (wrapped like a barber pole)
||=====
||
||

It definitely resembles a parabolic microphone, but it wasn't. Or if it was, it was home made. :) Oh well, maybe I'll come across another some day and actually get to see it up close.

i'm pretty sure its the antenna used for either wireless microphones or wireless in-ear monitors. its usually used in cases where there are a lot of wireless units being used at once. it helps seperate frequencies more accurately.

That makes the most sense. It was more or less at the front of the stage where the lead singers were, it was just way off to the side. Thanks!

Back