Baritones! [shouting]

Grey Angel

Angel of Shredding
OK, I'm thinking VERY HARD about going from a straight guitar to a baritone. If anyone here plays or has every played one, please give me any info you think may be useful. Also, please tell me what kind you use[d]. Thanks mucho. :>

I played a Santa Cruz Brozman Baritone in Sitka and Koa at Acoustic Roots in Philly. I sounded so good it almost made me weep! It was tuned down to C, and sounded great for fingerstyle/picking as well as strumming (the strumming almost made the walls shake!)

Unfortunately, it was $4000 :(

I have two baritone guitars; one is the Danelectro bari with 3 lipstick pickups and a "varitone" switch, and the other is an Alvarez Yairi acoustic.

The baritone, whether electric or acoustic - and they are VERY different from each other in sound and application - will never be the only guitar you play. In other words, it's extremely unlikely that anyone can say "I'm a baritone guitarist."

You pick one up from time to time because it will be effective for the song. If you need a different sound for a lead (Glen Campbell's "Galveston" comes to mind), or you need that tic-tac thing like early 60s Nashville ballads had.

You don't play a lot of full chords on it, because it takes up so much sonic space needed for other instruments and will tend to muddy things up. Plus, full chords are harder to play because the strings are thick and the scale is long.

It's a handy tool to have in your toolbox, but I don't think it's anyone's main tool.

Grey Angel said:
OK, I'm thinking VERY HARD about going from a straight guitar to a baritone. If anyone here plays or has every played one, please give me any info you think may be useful. Also, please tell me what kind you use[d]. Thanks mucho. :>

You wouldn't want to give your standard 6 string up for one - it's really a specialty instrument. I have a James Hetfield Signature "Grynch" Baritone, made by ESP. 1 of only 240 in the world. It's really cool - but I don't use it for everything, obviously. A good addition to your 6 string collection.

Back