band wants to go completley live

N_Yeager

hello all- I am going to be working with a band that wants to go all completely live in the room. They are looking for a totally old school motown type sound. I am really looking forward to this session they have a really authentic sound. Our plan was to stereo mic the room and then use all the other mics to kind of blend in. I have a huge room now so i think we are going to be able to get a really cool roomy sound. Now- from my past experience snare rallte can be a problem with the bass guitar in the same room. what do you guys usually do to remedy this. (also the guys dont want to wear headphones - or run the bass di). any tips tricks? i do have some homemade gobos and moveing blankets. but shoud i invest in something to isolate the bass amp from the floor?

Thanks,

Nathan

In my situation, the bass and sometimes guitar is generally in the room, with the drums tucked into an open V of gobos -the bass side is very sturdy (5/8 ply, framed) with deep absorption. It works fairly well, but the most important thing I believe is to have the drums up and strong in the room, and the amps at moderate levels. It comes down to a bit of old fashion signal-to-noise, relatively speaking.
If the bass player needs to "feel his/her notes" from the accross the room...Fer-git'a bout it. :D
Good hunting.
Wayne

...hows the singer planning on hearing himself?...that old motown sound? they used headphones too. did they make any other requests like salami loaf on rye with grey poupon?(true story, bad experience) I dont know how many members are in the band but if their looking for that live sound....set them up as if they were live....you know, drums in the middle. bass and guitar to the sides and let the singer walk around with his mic. i wouldnt try condensor mics on this...i'd give the 57s and 58s the main roles on that.

N_Yeager said:
can you explain an open v of gobos? i am having a mental block
thanks!

Drummer is on the middle of one wall with his back to the wall, some treatment behind him. The gobos are pulled in as tight as practical at the back, spreading out towards the front. :D
I also, for similar reasons, have come to mic the kit from fairly low and to the rear (a pair of QTC-1's either side of the drummer) which also helps keep the drums isolated.

distortedrumble said:
...hows the singer planning on hearing himself?...that old motown sound? they used headphones too. did they make any other requests like salami loaf on rye with grey poupon?(true story, bad experience) .

sorry shoud have clarified. HTey are instrumental.. almost like a booker t and the mg's (I know not motown). would love to hear the story about the salami loaf :rolleyes:

Nathan

Nathan, this is how I have done the majority of my work for the past like 10 years... band in a room, no headphones. The hardest part of this will be to get a clear low end from both the kit and the bass when you bring up both instruments. There is little you can do to prevent the bass from leaking into the front of the kit mic [well one of the things you can do is to use a close mic inside the drum and a small speaker on a stand outside the drum... but you lose a measure of the "band in a room" thing by doing that].

I have learned to control this 'bass/kit interaction' by moving the bass amp around until it sounds great with the front of the kit mic, if necessary, having like a 10" speaker that you can put on a stand and aim at the drummer's head can often help... that way you can move the bass player to where he can hear his amp while minimizing the bleed to the 'front of kit' mic also taking the bass DI as well as mic'd can net you a bit better control when it's time to do your final balances.

There is a tool made by "Littlelabs" called the "IBP" ["In Between Phase" device] that can be exceptionally helpful for getting the recorded bass sound to like up with the front of kit mic as well as the other mics on the kit... there are times when having a few of these things [I have 4 in my rig] has really saved my ass.

I'm not sure how they did it at Motown, but at the old Chess studios they attached clip leads to the speakers and ran the output of the amplifiers through some fairly large transformers for recording while the musicians still heard their amp in the room. Personally, I'm not a big fan of doing it this way, but it obviously can be done in that manner.

Snare rattling... not a problem... it wasn't a problem for Led Zeppelin on "Whole Lotta Love", it won't be a problem in your reality either. One thing you will really have to pay attention to while you're doing the "band in a room" thing is that you can't use a whole lot of EQ... everything is dependent on the source tone as well as microphone selection and placement... so if the drums don't sound good in the room, the guitar doesn't sound good in the room... whatever doesn't sound good in the room... it sure as hell ain't gonna sound good when you record it.

You can use 'gobos' to change the reverb time and reflective patterns of the room, they may give you some additional isolation but I wouldn't count on it a whole lot. Believe it or not, the isolation is actually pretty good even with drum mics 3-4 feet from the drums... the only thing I encounter from time to time is a bit of a struggle between the front of the kit mic and the bass.

From what I understand, the old Motown studio was relatively small and dead... the old Chess studio was also relatively small but had a bunch on non parallel hard surfaces... places like Abbey Road and Olympic were great big rooms with high ceilings but overall pretty dead so a band could move a whole lot of air without a whole lot of reflections... a big and reflective room is very often a huge pain in the ass to the proceedings which could be where things like gobos can come in handy.

Best of luck with the project.

Back