Band finally recorded on MD8

GraveRocker

Saturday, I finally got my band on mini-disk. We play classic rock and some alternative covers. This first time recording session did not go smoothly at first, but all the problems were in the mics, levels, etc.. We used 2 SM-58s, 1 Audio Technica 105-HE and one unidentified mic for the vocals. The MD8 worked great and was easy to use. I recorded 8 tracks simultaneously. The setup went as follows. Four vocal mics into a Tascam 424 mk2 channels 1-4 and out to channels 1-2 on the MD8. This allowed us to keep whoever was singing lead on track 1 and the backing vocals on track 2 on the MD8 by directing the vocals to the left or right stereo output via the pan controls on the Tascam. All amp and drum mics were SM-57s with the exception of one drum mic. An old beat up SM-57 (silver bodied) gave us some problems as drum mic. It would sort of work with one mic cord but not another. We replaced it with a cheaper but dependable mic just in case it failed totally. The SM-57 had been rolling around in the Bass player's car trunk for many years I was told. The recording turned out fairly good in spite of some slightly high and low levels here and there. It's hard keeping everyone at a consistant volume and keeping an eye on the meters and playing. I ran my acoustic or electrics into track 3 via mic'd amps (Peavey Classic 30 or Acoustasonic JR.), one lead guitar into track 4 and the other lead guitar into track 5 also via mic'd amps (Marshall cab w/ D'Alesandro head, Homemade tweed circuit amp and a '66 Fender Deluxe), bass into 6 lined out from Fender BXR-200 with Boss CS-3 compressor, drums mic'd into 7 and 8. I used a 2 channel DBX 266 XL to compress the vocals on the insert loops of tracks 1 and 2. That was the only signal processing I did to other than using the MD* mixer's EQ. The basement wreck room we recorded in gave us a little natural reverb, but not much. I'll add more later. There was some bleed over into other tracks via the mics, but we expected that. This recording session was mostly to see what we sound like. Unfortunately the bass player's Rickenbacker went microphonic on us which left a geiger counter like noise on all the bass tracks. All the other instruments did fine except for the fluctuating recording levels. One thing I learned was to get someone for next time to monitor the MD8 and keep an eye on the levels. I'm trying to get my wife to watch the board but I got this "deer in the headlights" look from her. Songs we recorded were: All Along the Watchtower, Great Balls of Fire, Save Tonight, Hot Legs, All Right Now, Treat Her Right, Closing Time, I Shot The Sheriff (w/ very cartoonish backing vocals), Suzie Q/Green River medley. I'm much more comfortable with the MD8 now that I have a recording session under my belt. I'm glad I bought it. I hope to have sound files eventually for everyone's amusement as soon as I can get some tunes mixed down to a computer.

Yo Rocker of Subway real estate:

Next time, try doing the chords and drums on one/two tracks; then, add the bass on one track; then add the solos on another track; then put the vocals on one or two tracks; then, I think you might think this is a better way to keep all the levels under control while you're doing the cuts.

But, if it works your way, you're a genius.

Regards,
Green Hornet

We did the all at once method because of the limited time we have available to practice. Just about everyone in the band has a day job and is married. The recordings came out fairly well considering the lack of processing or effects equipment. We're looking at this as a demo to get occassional gigs. We'll pick 4 of the best ones and maybe redo the bass tracks to get the noise out. If it were for a serious project, I would definitely take more time and go the one or two tracks at a time method. We ended up with 4 usable songs out of that batch that sound pretty decent. The compressor really helped the vocals alot.

"Rocker of Subway real estate" :)

GraveRocker:

Same situation here. Classic Rock tunes, multitracking live, one chance to set levels (and everyone else is dumb).

I recently bought a Behringer Multicom, a fairly decent four channel compressor/limiter in one rack space. It's been invaluable in recording our live shows (and, hell, everything else, too), and apart from input gain, it's completely adjustable. You mentioned getting some pretty high and low levels--get this $150 baby and fuhgeddaboudit!

Also, it's got both XLR and 1/4" inputs and outputs. Great for getting XLR into your MD8 in a pinch!

Back