Balanced in/out 2 channel interface recomendations?

Goldenvoice388

I'm looking for recommendations on a 2 channel interface:

Balanced line in / Balanced line out

decent converters / solid reliable drivers

Something from a few years back which will run on my P4 2.4

Suggestions?

Current setup: basics
Tascam 388 - recently tuned, head re-lapped, etc
Event ASP8 monitors
AT 4047 + Reslo ribbon + various
Sony DPS-V55 + Yamaha R100

History:
I've been mixing down to a Harman Kardon CDR-20 , a 'home stereo' type dual tray CD burner with 24/96 converters. The last project, I noticed how much the sound degraded at that last step. The sound from the 388 direct to the monitors was pretty nice, really. Not 'top notch', but warm and clean. Once it hit the HK burner, it degraded considerably - adding noise. The HK is only RCA inputs - not balanced by any means. I did check grounds, tried plugging things into different 115v circuits, etc, but didn't gain any ground...

Anyway, overall I'm thinking save for something like a custom box, and an RME Fireface - something I won't just turn around and grow out of. I'd like to be able to add a nice preamp in the future, without having to once again upgrade everything - think vint RCA Pre and a 77DX - or an Altec 1567. Might be a few years, but I'm heading there.

So, "in the mean time" - meaning, as a step for this year, should I 'cut my teeth' and solve the immediate problem by scamming a used P4 Vaio or something, and a 2 channel interface - to solve my current audio issue?

Yes, I'm thinking - shop hard for a computer in the hundred $ range, and a 'sound card' for more or less? Would need, obviously, 2 balanced line level ins - 2 balanced outs... of course, this would also let me mess around with direct to the box recording...

Recommendations for this? I have Reaper on the office computer - played with it some - would be happy with it in the studio.

Anyway, much of the older 2-channel interfaces I've scanned on eBay don't have balanced out. Oh, and Balanced in, as the 388 has balanced outs...

ORRR - am I just wasting my time? Should I just save a year, and start cutting my digi-teeth on the RME?

(more questions on the RME later, like: will it allow me to 'think' like I'm in an outboard/analog studio?)

Middle-aged, and behind on technology - I still like to see reels go round - but at what cost?>>>>

Thanks for the input gang!

Joe

m audio mobilepre usb

You can probably track down one of these at a great price, i got mine a couple years ago and am just now looking to upgrade when i raise some funds, but it served me well. 2 (i believe balanced) 1/4 inputs, two xlr inputs, and two 1\4 outputs. i bet u can snag one for $50 or below.

Wow, the Mia looks direct and to the point. Any way to control the output volume, so I can go direct from the card to the monitors?

Also wonder about the Emu 1212m. My reading - searching Google, seems to have great feedback on SQ - yet lots of users who hate - or don't get - the patching part of the software... I've long ago learned analog long-hand, so perhaps this would not be a problem?

Also - I'm assuming any driver issues on either of these units have been hammered out in regards to running on XP?

Are either of these cards going to give me about the same "sonics" as, say, a firepod? or better?

Any other things I should think about here?

Thanks, Joe

Last edited:
Back