bad tube?

KShef

bad tube? edit: change tube, still messed up :(

how do ya tell if you have a bad tube?

my amp, after it warms up, sounds dead and flat....no treble

thanks for the help :)

Last edited:
you have about two options here: a) spend the money to get it taken to a tech. b) try to fix it yourself. The good thing about option A, is that if your amp gets messed up, you are at no loss. But, if you mess it up youself, you are screwed.

if you go with option B) though... buy one pre-amp tube that works for your amp. Go in and swap it out, and then test it. Swap/test all of the preamp tubes. Hopefully this works, because it will be a lot cheaper than testing the power amp tubes. Those you have to buy a matched pair of tubes (not as cheap as a single pre-amp tube) and go through and swap out each matched pair.

Basically, if you at all nervous about this, maybe you should let a qualified tech handle the dirty work.

thanks for the quick replies :)

yep, the only symptom....after about 10mins of playing it just goes "flat"(sounds like you turn the bass all the way up and the treble almost all the way down)...it really sounds like crap

i dont know much about amps but i've got no problem replacing tubes(if i can identify which is which)
guess i'll try that first, if that doesnt work guess i'll have to take it somewhere...this amp is only 1.5-2 years old :eek:

oh yeah, how much do tubes cost.....are there good tubes and bad tubes? which brand?

thanks

almost scared to say after searching and reading around this forum.....but its a behringer vintager ac112
it better not be something major :mad:

i've been pleased with this amp so far, but i might have to fix it and get rid of it :rolleyes:

the manual says a(meaning one i guess?) 12AX7 tube
so there is a pair of power tubes and one preamp tube??

No power tubes in that baby. Just a 12AX7 preamp tube. You should be able to find one from $8-$20, maybe at your local music store. Looks like you have to pull the chassis to swap it out, should be pretty easy.

KShef said:
replaced the tube with a new one....no luck, still sounds bad

what the??? :mad:

Ah, well. That sucks. It's something else, then. Time to get some pro service, as replacing the tube is about the only thing most people can do easily. The tube is also usually the culprit in these hybrid things. Those two reasons are why everyone says "replace the tube" as the first step.

Back