Bad to have resonator head hoops off?

Chill

Is it bad to have the resonator head hoops and tension rods off of drums for extended periods? What kinds of problems can that cause, if any? And how do you find out if there are problems from it? There's a used kit locally w/ the lower heads/hoops and BD resonator headhoop off and I'd like to figure out if that harmed the drums.

Chill said:
Is it bad to have the resonator head hoops and tension rods off of drums for extended periods? What kinds of problems can that cause, if any? And how do you find out if there are problems from it? There's a used kit locally w/ the lower heads/hoops and BD resonator headhoop off and I'd like to figure out if that harmed the drums.

Well, in theory, the drum could be out of round, but that's just in theory.

My real worry about this type osituation, is that sometimes when people take the resonant side heads off - they wind up stacking them or sliding them on the bearing edges - and they can mess those up doing that.

If the toms are mounted on the kick, and the front head and hoop is off - the weight of the toms could cause the kick shell to be warped a little on that side. With the tension of the head on the resonant side of the kick - it helps keep the shell straight when you have mounted toms on the kick.

Tim

If a drum is out of round on one side and you stick a new hoop on it, it's back in round, no?

Damage to the bearing edge should be visible with the hoop off, right? Anything specific to look for?

Chill said:
If a drum is out of round on one side and you stick a new hoop on it, it's back in round, no?

Damage to the bearing edge should be visible with the hoop off, right? Anything specific to look for?

No, once it gets warped - it's warped.
I doubt there's too much you can do to honestly get it back in round. It's worse on older drums (say, drums older than early to mid 70's) because some of those were never really round to begin with.
I've seen some of them that almost looked like they were trying to become Oval shaped - and that's not a joke. One guy had 16" & 18" floor toms mounted on a single headed kick, and the front of the drum had lmost buckled after years of not having front heads on it.
In short - he ruined a $500 bass drum. He brought me the kick to try and fix it for him, but there was no way I could do it. Now, maybe if you had access to a wood steamer like Slingerland used to have - you might be able to do it, but the average drum shoip, or repairman isn't going to have access to something like that.

Yes, look to see if they are all scraped up looking, if they look very smooth, then they might still be usable - I mean - you can have the bearing edges recutif need be, but that would add probably $200 to a 5 piece kit...so you'd be better off, just adding $200 to your buying price, and buy a kit that has always been double headed.

True single-headed concert toms, used to come with a metal lip on the bottom edge to protect the wooden edge, and to help keep the drum in round.

Tim

Tim Brown said:
Why, is it way out of round?

Tim
It's definitely warped. I used to keep the bottom lugs near the snares looser than the rest (the Lonnie Mack method?) and I think that's what caused it.

P.S. Sorry for the hijack!

Last edited:
MadAudio said:
It's definitely warped. I used to keep the bottom lugs near the snares looser than the rest (the Lonnie Mack method?) and I think that's what caused it.

P.S. Sorry for the hijack!

I have heard of guys fixing snares, essentially they routed out a 14" mold/form from plywood, and sealed his with Marine-grade Polyureathane.
They then took steaming hot water and put the shell in it and let it soak for a bit to soften up the shell, and then pressed it into the "mold/form". Personally, I never had the nerve to try it myself. :p

What I was specifically talking about was a warped kickdrum. They used to make a special bar to put inside the kick drum so that the front of the kick wouldn't collapse under the weight of the mounted toms - but very few people actually used them.

Tim

Last edited:
Tim Brown said:
...They used to make a special bar to put inside the kick drum so that the front of the kick wouldn't collapse under the weight of the mounted toms - but very few people actually used them.

Tim
Rogers drums used them but they made the drum sound like shit. It would have an annoying ring to it. I took mine out and it stopped.

Back