Bad sounding room

Tenderness46

Hi. This is the first time I post in this forum. I've done some home recording years ago. I always wanted to be able to get professional results, but I hardly can say I ever did, although taking into account my lack of knowledge, the fact that I was alone to do everything and the equipment and room limitations (not to mention working in the same room where my girlfriend was cooking and my young children running around), sometimes I got some half decent results.

Now, not having a place of my own where I can set up the recording studio, I rented a bedroom at my ex-girlfriend's house to do it there. Initially I tried in her massive living room, but finally I was given an empty bedroom. In the living room I recorded a song (just an acoustic guitar, straight through the piezo, and a vocal part) and found that the sound of the room was not too bad. After moving it to the bedroom, though, I get an awfully confusing bass response that makes it very unpleasant to listen to anything there, even if the volume is not loud. I haven't even tried to record there, but I can imagine that it may be hell just trying to figure out what is actually going into the hard disc drive. Also the sound of the room takes the desire away.

I know nothing about acoustics, so any advice is appreciated. My budget is limited and I do nightly gigs at a different town seven nights a week, so my availability of time is also limited. Really I don't like to fiddle about too much with the physical aspects of music recording. What I am into is putting ideas into the machine, with the best possible sound, not having to dedicate much time or effort to build things, fix things, experiment moving all the stuff around, etc.

I can say that the size of the room, although it's big enough to fit everything I need to use, may not be enough from a sound point of view. The floor is tiled, the walls are just painted with nothing on them that might prevent undesirable reflections and the shape is rectangular. I think that is a wrong starting point, but I don't know exactly what corrections would be advisable to improve the sound. I would like to, as much as possible, go for the right things at the first attempt, instead of doing trial and error for weeks or months until I get the desired results.

Is there anything simple (if possible) that I can do to correct my actual problems? Thanks everyone for reading and special thanks to the contributors! Cheers!

Ooh, where to start?
First, I would never trust the 1,000s of dollars worth of equipment I have to an unlocked room in an EX girlfriend's house. Just really not ideal.
Second, the living room was probably much larger, and therefore the acoustics of the room were much more pleasing to the ear.
Third, if you must use this room for whatever reasons: rectangular is MUCH preferable to square. Having bare walls and tiled floor can be overcome with traps and ceiling clouds. The bad bass response can be solved with super chunk traps in the corners. Look into rock wool insulation (Owens Corning 703/705 equivalent) and see where you can start. If your rental does not include the ability to attach things to the walls/ceiling, you probably should just walk away and find a different space to rent.

Hi, and welcome to Home Recording!

You say your budget is limited, and you want professional results. The two generally do not go together, professional results costs a lot of money. But you can get very decent results for a modest budget.
You do not say what instruments you will be recording or how many inputs you will need. If you are just recording guitar and a vocal, I'd suggest the Avid Eleven Rack, Avid | Pro Tools | Eleven Rack – Guitar Amp Emulation and Audio Recording Solution and it comes with Pro Tools. (I'm not a pro tools fan, but I own this unit and use Sonar.)

If you need more inputs, you'll need to decide how many. Most interfaces come with some sort of DAW, even limited they're decent.

Acoustic treatment is very expensive and really a must when you are mixing.

It would help if we knew what your goals are and any equipment you all ready have, ie microphones, computer, ect.

Ooh, where to start?
First, I would never trust the 1,000s of dollars worth of equipment I have to an unlocked room in an EX girlfriend's house. Just really not ideal.
Second, the living room was probably much larger, and therefore the acoustics of the room were much more pleasing to the ear.
Third, if you must use this room for whatever reasons: rectangular is MUCH preferable to square. Having bare walls and tiled floor can be overcome with traps and ceiling clouds. The bad bass response can be solved with super chunk traps in the corners. Look into rock wool insulation (Owens Corning 703/705 equivalent) and see where you can start. If your rental does not include the ability to attach things to the walls/ceiling, you probably should just walk away and find a different space to rent.

Well, for starters my equipment is probably worth a few thousands of dollars less than yours, and anyway at this point, ridiculous as it sounds, my ex-girlfriend's house seems to be the best, if not the only, option. We have some other things in common, including two children and a dog.

You are right, the living room was massive, and also it has some shelf units packed with books, a sofa and two armchairs and other things that I think help controlling undesirable reflections. The sound was definitely MUCH more pleasant to the ear. Thank goodness she agrees with any changes I need to make to the room, so that's a good starting point. The thing is I had no clue whatsoever where to start, so I thank you VERY MUCH for the advice about Owens Corning 703/705. I'll start from there. Thanks again.

Hi, and welcome to Home Recording!

You say your budget is limited, and you want professional results. The two generally do not go together, professional results costs a lot of money. But you can get very decent results for a modest budget.
You do not say what instruments you will be recording or how many inputs you will need. If you are just recording guitar and a vocal, I'd suggest the Avid Eleven Rack, Avid | Pro Tools | Eleven Rack – Guitar Amp Emulation and Audio Recording Solution and it comes with Pro Tools. (I'm not a pro tools fan, but I own this unit and use Sonar.)

If you need more inputs, you'll need to decide how many. Most interfaces come with some sort of DAW, even limited they're decent.

Acoustic treatment is very expensive and really a must when you are mixing.

It would help if we knew what your goals are and any equipment you all ready have, ie microphones, computer, ect.

Thanks very much for your reply! At the moment I may have to settle for "very decent results" and keep improving things until I can achieve "professional results". I am not qualified as a professional either, so maybe the equipment and I will grow together to become professional eventually.

I have a KORG D1600 DAW, which lets me use up to eight inputs simultaneously, but I always record on my own, so normally I never use more than one or two inputs at a time. I usually use a BOSS DR5 Rhythm Section machine as a sound source for drums and instruments like strings or brass that I could not play myself. Also a YAMAHA QY22. I have a YAMAHA QY100 as well, but I have never used it, since I bought it when my life was very topsy-turvy and I didn't have time for anything really. Now I mean to take the recording again and hopefully I will learn how to use that unit too. I used to control those units with an ATARI running Cubase, but the two ATARIs I had died, and I never started to use any software DAW. I have a pair of YAMAHA NS10s, and I use an AIWA HIFI amp as a reference amp. At the moment acoustic treatment seems to be the priority, because the sound of the room takes away the will to do anything.

Back