bad habbit?

ykarkason

i am working on adobe audition 3,
somtimes i can find myself using a multiband compressor as a 4-band eq,
i am doing this while the ratio is on 1:1 and i just changing the level of the gain,
i found it easy to use it that way beacuse i can see the waves in a visual which is easier to use,
that doesn't means i don't use eq, i am using eq much more then what i describe previously.
it doesn't means either that i don't use a multiband comperssor as a multiband comperssor.
is it a bad habbit?

thanks.

I'd say it is.

I'm thinking that an EQ is made for the purposes of EQ. The way it works would
be suitable for the task. Same with multibands. Multibands weren't created for
the use of EQ really, so I don't think it'll work as well as an EQ unit would.

Just a thought. But I'd try and break that habit if I was you :D

I'd say it is.

I'm thinking that an EQ is made for the purposes of EQ. The way it works would
be suitable for the task. Same with multibands. Multibands weren't created for
the use of EQ really, so I don't think it'll work as well as an EQ unit would.

Just a thought. But I'd try and break that habit if I was you :D

ok, i think i'll try to break it, just to be sure, another commnets?

There are a couple of folks here on the board who do it all the time. But I guess I'm not sure how what you're doing isn't using the multiband compressor for its intended purpose -- instead of merely boosting/cutting the gain on a particular frequency band, you're applying a compression algorithm (which includes aspects that resemble boosting or cutting, but there's more going on of course -- perhaps both boosting and cutting if you're using make-up gain, etc.). If you like the result, then maybe the multiband was the right tool for the job?

i am doing this while the ratio is on 1:1 and i just changing the level of the gain,
i found it easy to use it that way beacuse i can see the waves in a visual which is easier to use,
that doesn't means i don't use eq, i am using eq much more then what i describe previously.
it doesn't means either that i don't use a multiband comperssor as a multiband comperssor.
is it a bad habbit?

thanks.
I'd say it's only a bad habit if it keeps you from doing something that sounds even better. But if it's what works fine for you, then who are we to complain? ;)

G.

Peregrin Took and Meriadoc Brandybuck were bad hobbits...always getting into trouble.

Oh...wait...you mean a bad habit.... ;)

is it a bad habbit?

thanks.

[/QUOTE] i found it easy to use it that way beacuse i can see the waves in a visual which is easier to use,

First, their are no rules to recording. If it sounds good then it works. Try taking your eyes off the screen and listen to your mix. Give your ears a chance to hear what your recording. When all is said and done and you distribute your Cd's to people they do not have the luxury of looking at your music on the screen. Good luck.

shalom, ma kora?
שלום מה קורה?
(hi, what's up?)
LOL

ok ,thanks, so i can keep using it but i'll try to not.

Back