bad drum sounds

Holy geez. Who created the worm hole and brought us back to 2001? ?

I have to say, however, that if you're going to resurrect a conversation, this ain't such a bad one to do it to. I like the topic, and I think it's even more relevent 5 years later. The drums recorded during the time period in question seemed to be kinda' bad.

And he brings up some good ideas about drum mic'ing. Around 2001, a lot of indie records started taking on a lot of the elements that this guy suggested (more snap out of the snare; less scoop in the kick drum). Interesting.

well, its a good topic here, so this is my thought.

i would be willing to bet that all these great artists/producers WANTED the sounds that we hear on the albums.

in addition;

most of us here on HR could be considered 'audiophile' by the majority of the population. we are a distinct class of people who crave clean sound. john q. public buy logitech speakers with their dell dimensions and listen to mp3's encoded at 96kb/s and believe it sounds AWESOME. we however, contrast their views and think it sounds "OK" at best. we like the sounds that come from our studio monitors.

how many times have you been to a party and started checking out the DJ's gear?? i know i have criticized them in my head, thinking the gear was cheap. i compare my JBL MR825's to their cheapo community or kustom speakers. i use a kickass Ramsa Poweramp, and they use the likes of Gemsound.

honestly, i hear some difference in sound quality BUT ITS NOT MUCH AT ALL!
this makes me an audiophile? one could argue. i think that i'm just a stuck up audio bitch. im an audio snob, which is kinda like the equivalent to a cheerleader vs. a girl in chess club.

i listen to my ipod and get pissed off that im using earpieces. on my last plane trip, i took my Audio Technica AT40fs (or whatever) headphones that i use in the studio becuase in my mind, those Little earpieces give me a HEADACHE, and they honestly do! its all in my mind of course, i really dont know if the earpieces sound good or not because i am BIASED! i am not a typical consumer; i take brand new ipod earpieces and throw them away because my mind is set that way. MIND OVER MATTER; i think they suck and i get a headache. does this happen to 'normal' people??? no! everyone uses the ipod earpieces!

wow. check out that digression.

Back