Bad Bromance (acoustic funk pop) mix test

ksawaia

Hey guys

I'm doing a mix for one of my bands called "Bad Bromance" (joke name and is in the process of being changed...long story). I just "finished" a mix of one of our new tunes and I am having trouble getting the lead vocals to sit right. They always feel way to far above the mix, and not in a volume sense but more of an audible height sense.

Take a listen. View attachment newsong_bb_8_final.mp3

Thanks guys.

Nice song.

The first thing that struck me was that something was out of place with the vocal. I think it's because it's so dry and everything else is pretty roomy. They sound like they're in different spots. There are a couple of frequencies in the lead vocal that are bugging. Something around 2700hz could be notched out slightly. Then something down lower - maybe around 120hz or so. Both cuts should be small and narrow.

I'd like to hear more power from the distorted guitars.

Not my sort of thing necessarily, but certainly well done. Strong vocal performance and a cool melody with unexpected intervals thrown in.

Personally, I kind of liked the juxtiposition of the in-your-face vocal and the set-back instruments, but I get what trip is saying and if that effect isn't your intent, you might consider bringing the vocals back some with more verb, delay or something.

thanks guys. it has been always tough for me to sit these particular vocals. its weird because i throw them more room and they loose their catch, i leave the room lower and they because wayyy over the top of the song. doing kind of a cross genre thing is always tough because of the "normals" for each genre are completely different.

good suggestions. ill try the guitar and vocal eq'ing and put another mix up.

Back