BAD ASS Technique for Guitar Tracking!!!

VesuviusJay

Poser Roaster
I figured out a killer way of getting fat guitar tracks using a POD and placing a single beta 57a in front of a 2X12. Check it out for yourself, but I am getting monster tracks.

First run the POD's left output straight in to your soundcard. Next run the right channel out into your amp. (I am simply using a crate powerblock through a celestion vintage 30 2X12). Then set up a single mic(I am using beta 57a) in front of the cab. I run the XLR from the mic into a presonus tube pre, but any device with a phase switch will suffice. Now to solve any phase issue that may arrise, use this technique adopted and customized from a post on this BBS from Aaron Carey of Pipeline Audio. First find a good distorted tone on the POD. Unplug the guitar and place the 1/4" plug on a surface that causes mad static. Then crank up the input gain on the soundcard where the pod is directly connected up to 0db. Next place the mic pointed straight at the center of the left speaker cone on the cabinet at 90 degrees. Flip the phase on the signal coming from the mic. Crank the input gain on the signal from the mic on the soundcard. Put on headphones and listen to the mixed signal. It should be fairly loud static. The properties of an audio sine wave dictate that mixing of signals 100% in phase will effectively double the amplitude of the sine wave. 100% out of phase and you can effectively half the frequency or even cancel it out. Now probe the mic back and forth in front of the cabinet and listen for a distinct phenomenon. You should hear a sort of "swishing" sound as you probe the mic back and forth horizontally across the cabinet face. (Keeing the angle at 90 degrees of course) What you are looking for is the spot on the spot on the face where the sound is the QUIETEST. This is where the mic is 100% out of phase with the POD signal. Now flip the phase switch back! Now the mic signal is 100% in phase with the POD signal. Mix the signals and what you get is huge guitar track tone. Now it is very simple to EQ the track by alternating the input gains of the 2 tracks. Get it seasoned to taste through your monitors, record a dummy track to taste the result. "Then revel in your glorious new tone..."

I might have to try that with the J-Station. I don't like it by itself because it sounds kind of thin and wimpy. I can run one channel through the Boogie set on clean to get a little tube goodness. Hmmmmmm.

Guys, it makes the guitar NICE AND THICK! I am sure it will work with and guitar DI box that has separate outs. I will post a sample on this forum on Tuesday of next week. I think I may have used it on this track:

But I think it may be a version before I tried this technique. I will post a sample I am confident I used the technique on tuesday.

What's cool is if you record the tracks in stereo with your VST, you can pan them wherever you want in the mix and not have to deal with separate tracks. Or leave them separate for more versatility later.

You don't have to go through the hastle of aligning the phase of the signals, you can do that post-tracking in the sequencer by simply sliding the 2 waveforms so that they look aligned. This does mean it can sound out-of-phase before or during tracking.

Also, invert one track and slide until the volume is at a minimum works often with a single point source... I generally manage phase alignment post tracking.

Back