Backing up & Managing your files on PC

eclips1

I have a few questions on file managment. Basically I'm curious how others manage theres.

I have a 30 gig drive which I run my system on. A file folder for all music files. In this folder I have different folders for different artists or groups. Then in there folders I have folders for each song/project I'm working on. I don't name my files when I record them.

I back up on CD-R. Which is a serious hassle. Currently am behind and have about 15gigs of material I need to back up.

What I'm finding out is that sometimes after I've back'd up a project on CD-R and deleted it from my HD, I'll need to pull it back of CD-R on to the HD, but some files won't copy back over. I get an error message.

I'm looking for a better way to back up instead of optical. A freind of mine just bought a 120gig firewire external drive for his mac to store files. Only cost him 260$. Is there anything like this for PC's?

I've been going with cheap drives in removable trays, but it's still on a format that can crash, or be dropped. Still not a 100% solution.
Wayne

eclips1 said:
I have a few questions on file managment. Basically I'm curious how others manage theres.

I have a 30 gig drive which I run my system on. A file folder for all music files. In this folder I have different folders for different artists or groups. Then in there folders I have folders for each song/project I'm working on. I don't name my files when I record them.

I back up on CD-R. Which is a serious hassle. Currently am behind and have about 15gigs of material I need to back up.

What I'm finding out is that sometimes after I've back'd up a project on CD-R and deleted it from my HD, I'll need to pull it back of CD-R on to the HD, but some files won't copy back over. I get an error message.

I'm looking for a better way to back up instead of optical. A freind of mine just bought a 120gig firewire external drive for his mac to store files. Only cost him 260$. Is there anything like this for PC's?

Why don't you just buy another HD? 80Gb HD's are less than $100 nowadays...

What im planning on doing is running 3 hard drives. I have a 60 gig and a 40 gig right now, and soon i will purchase an 80 gig. What i will be doing is install a copy of winxp pro on the 40, and then another copy on the 60 gig. So i will have a duel boot. ONLY audio, thats IT on one. And the other no audio, just games and music and everythign else. The 80 gig i will use for backups and random files, and i will install a bunch of litle programs on it to keep my main drives from getting clustered. Hopefully this will help to preserve that "fresh install" feel. You know when you just install and you don't have anything running on your drive, it loads SO fast.
I haven't thought about external backups. maybe i'll just copy my music over to my brothers computer when he gets one.

I'm using a combination of CD-R and DVD writables for the backups. The prices on DVD drives have been falling drastically recently -- check it out! Looks like +R, +RW is winning the format war around here at least, but any of them should be fine.

-lee-

Thanks for the replies all. I was accually on my way up to CompUSA today to see what I can do. I'm thinking 2 external drives is how I wanna go. I'll start with 1 for now. I don't really need the drive to be super fast because I'll only be storing files on them. Maybe a slower drive will be cheaper, I don't know? But that sounds a lot better to me than spending 20hrs burning 700mb at a time.

What is the most stable? I thought about a DVD drive, but I wondered if I'd have the same retrieval problem as I do with CD-R's?

Back