backing up CEP files to CD

downonthestreet

I have just finished with a crop of songs and want to free the space on my HD occupied by the CEP files for these songs. Is it a simple matter of saving all files as data to a CD, or do the wav files have to be saved as music? Hopefully, I can just put all songs in their separately titled song folders into a single folder on my desktop and save the lot as data in one click?

Would be appreciative of some advice, please.

Cheers

Ross

It would help if you have a DVD burner...especially if your songs have a high track count. If you have a lot of tracks, you wont be able to fit a whole song worth of tracks on one cd-r. I have had to put drum tracks on one disk and the rest of the song on another. Now I have a DVD burner and I can put several songs on one disk. But to answer your question....yes..just save each song and its files into seperate folders and save the folders onto a data disk.

Thanks, thajeremy. Didn't realise songs used up that much space, but thinking about all the tracks etc, I guess it makes sense. I've got a DVD ROM, but don't know if I can record to DVD using that (absolutely NO experience with DVD except watching a very few DVDs - never tried recording one).

At the cost of confirming myself as a complete technodork, is it usual for a DVD ROM to be able to record DVDs off your HD as well as allowing you to play DVDs? And what format of DVD would you recommend for song data, please?

If it says DVD-RW then you're good to go...if its DVD/CD-RW then you dont have a DVD writer. You could rip DVD's to your harddrive...but not burn them as DVD's...you could however make VCD's but that wont help you with what you are trying to do.

now..about the songs taking up so much space....check out the size (in MB's) of a song after mixdown. On average...you can fit 15 - 20 songs on a CD correct??? Now...look at the size of one of your tracks...guitar, bass, whatever...it is about the same size of one fully mixed song right? SOOOOO....you can only fit about 15 - 20 tracks on a cd...if one song has 18 tracks...then thats about all you will get on one CD.

Back