backing orchestra for Metal song

bozmillar

I figured I'd try adding an orchestra to this song tonight. I only have the orchestra in the intro to try to keep it from dragging to much. This is just a first draft, so I'm sure I'll work on the arrangement more, but I figured I'd get opinions from other people on what I should change.

Boz,
the orchestration sounds good, probably very good BUT I can't hear enough of it - it's WAY too quiet.
The intro has a bit on Nothing Else Mattersness to it - I guess that's just life after the Black album.
Nice work, do you intend to keep the orchestration at such a low level or are you trying to avoid clashes?

Boz, I agree with Ray. The orchestration is getting lost in the drums and the guitar. Sounds like an English horn in there somewhere, which is a nice idea to go along with the guitar in the intro, but they each should have a space in the mix. As it is, it's like the song is playing and the orchestra is on another player way back in the room.

Very edgy song, which is a nice contrast to the mellow beginning. I like the concept of this song, but bring up the orchestra. Plus you might want to consider bringing it back after a stop in the song. Something pulsing and hectic like the metal. An orchestra can do that just as well with some pizz contrabass and agitato strings.

HTH

Wig:)

Thanks. Volume is an issue I have with every song I try to add an orchestra to. I always start out out really quiet then bring it up with every revision as I start to get used to it. I did my best to bring it up loud this time, but I guess I didn't do it enough. Thanks for the feedback.

I'll give the orchestra a boost. I'll also mess with the reverb. I have it swamped in reverb that doesn't match the reverb of the rest of the song, so that is probably giving it the "other stage" feel.

ok, I reworked the arrangement a bit and brought up the orchestra. I think I'll attempt to so some orchestration throughout the song, but I'm trying to think of a plan of attack for that. Until then, here's the updated intro.

Second mix sounds better, Boz. I hear the ochestra nicely now. Damn good track! Orchestras fit so well to this style (it wasn't just Metallica, Deep Purple and Black Sabbath both experimented with orchestras). Nice Guitar sound, bass melts into them nicely and the drums sound great too, maybe a bit less reverb on the snare or shorter. Any chance of vocals? Wonderful stuff!

Joey :):):):)

Boz, it's the buzz!
Audible, sympathetic in the right places, strident in others.
Still a little restrained in vol once the bad comes in.
Much improved & quite impressive.
Well done.

I like the song and mix 2 is better but I think the guitar is still too loud and over powers the orchestration a bit.

Thanks for the comments.

Joey, you are right. I think there is too much reverb on the snare. I'll pull that down when I get a chance (might not be for a while, but I will do it). I sure do hope to put some vocals to it. Either I'm too picky, or good singers are really hard to find. Or maybe it's hard to find a good singer who is willing to put the time and effort into writing lyrics, a melody and recording just so I can show my wife that I finished a song.

Rayc and Sinman, thanks. I think I may need to turn the brass up a bit to give it a little more power when the distorted guitars come in. At the same time, I don't want the orchestra overpowering the guitars. I think I'm getting closer to getting the right balance.

Back