Back to recording...

Real good to see you around Dave. Shades of TSO! Is this all keys or are you fiddleing anywhere? It sounds very polished.

I love the composition, but hate the electronics. I think I could love the whole thing if the bass sounded less mechanical, as it stands out as being the fakest sounding of the instruments. The rest are okay or at least closer to what I'd expect those instruments to sound like.

the beggining sounds kind of... idk... light ? Not sure why the bass is there, it could be the drums ? or the whole eq settings? not sure. But ye as stated i'd just chill a BIT on the electric sound of the bass. Just a bit. Try to make it a bit more non electric (Y)

Son of a Bitch!!! it's David K!!!!

How ya' doin' man.

You still do the TSO?

If so were you in Florida a few months ago?
If so why didn't you call me!

:mad:

:D

Good to see ya'.

Thanks for the comments, fellers. Yeah, the bass was a bad idea.:D It started as a normal bass patch. I got over-zealous and ran it through Guitar Rig 4 and things went downhill from there. I'll try to make this track a lil more organic, all the other ones are.

10 real fiddles on this. Needs a better mix, there is too much "synth string" and not enough "real string".

Hey - I haven't heard a tune from you in ages.

You had one of the first tracks I ever listened to in here and also were one of the first to comment on one of my terrible tunes. You did not tear it apart too bad which at the time was all the encouragement I needed to keep going.

Anyway, I think this arrangement is cool and the recording is good, but I'd like to hear it re-mixed as you note above with a more organic, real-string sound to it.

Ha! That's great. Too bad I ran out of "ubin" rhymes, or I could've really turned that one into something.

Hello david, the bass sound much better when it's doing something other than bubbling but as it is it's a little 80's new age midi.
I like the way the melody is carried & the arrangement - I ripped out a few hosanahs n glorias along with it.
I look forward to hearing it again with a few more of you hand made tracks in amongst the necessaries.

overall mix seems bass shy, even with the Ric 4001 sound as the dominant instrument.... Kinda too much "chris Squir-ish"... and a it verges on a pedal tone too much. When it gets off the one note, it breathes air into things.
I'm guessing this was mixed on cans with tired ears?

I'm guessing this was mixed on cans with tired ears?

That's correct, but it doesn't matter: I'm out of my element and am beginning to embrace that. My instrument is the orchestra, not midi. For the past 3 years I've been writing symphony charts, I've had 19 performed since January 1st alone. It's the only musical language I am 100% fluent in and am 100% confident with. My symphony stuff is nothing like this, it's full of bravado while this is kinda flat. I'm actually relieved to say that: I took several years off of the pop/synthy stuff and coming back to it, I find it boring and lifeless. As the great writers say, "Write what you know" and I don't really know this. I know the world of 80 people in a concert hall reading music.

As I speak/type, I'm doing a commission for Orch of "Cinema Paradiso" themes, and It's about 6,000 times better than this. It's alive.

When it gets off the one note, it breathes air into things.
EXACTLY. Thank you Mixmkr for a well-needed dose of reality, you're a smart cookie (and everyone else in this thread too). My orchestra stuff wouldn't do the pedal nonsense in a million years. Lines flow all over the place, they aren't stagnant, everything is active and nothing is passive. This sounds sterile, clinical and anti-emotional. But mainly, it sounds like someone with talent but out of their element, which is exactly what it is. Now if you gents will excuse me, I'm a-gonna fire up Sibelius and get back to doing what I love, which is writing geeky but good orchestral scores.:cool:

Wow, DavidK!! Nice to see you back.

I think you've got some good feedback already, not sure I can add anything that would help. Don't know who TSO is, but I hear some ELP influence in and around the bridge area (2:13?) Oh wait, Trans-Siberian Orch, I do know who TSO is. :o

I know you like doing the whole orchestra thing with 103 violin tracks ( i remember you did that once), but have you ever considered writing and recording for solo violin? It would be really great to hear just one of you. :)

btw: my 5 yr old just started violin lessons, I hope she sticks with it.

peace,

Hey David, glad to see one of yours in the clinic after so long. :D I have no issues with the bass lines as this is typically what I'm used to in synth pop stuff (I used to play guitar with this guy...). Plus it sounds a lot like Mike's Ricky bass. I think you're being way too hard on yourself although I could use a smidge more fiddle lol.... Now get back to work on those charts!!! :D:D:D:D

Back