Back to Mixing

Mr. F.

Hey guys. I've been pretty busy the last few years with work and stuff and all my recording stuff was in storage. Im now finding the time to get back in to it but feel even more rusty than before. Take a listen and I appreciate any input.

https://soundcloud.com/kris-froehlich/sweet-forgiveness-jj-morris-mix-3

I recorded this live at my church on 16 tracks using an M-audio 1814 paired with Alesis Adat, fed through sends from an old Mackie 32 sound board. Because it was recorded live and not to a click track, I know there is some timing issues. I was originally going to go through and quantize everything but that proved to be a huge task and most likely wouldn't be too successful in the end do to alot of mic bleed through.

Thank you for any advice.

Kris

Hi Kris, that didn't sound rusty to me, nice job of capturing a live performance. I don't really have much advice, just some observations. The acoustic guitar tone is a bit bright, was it di'd or miced? It's got that piezo tone to my ear. The electric guitar seemed a bit loud in the mix to me, and when the piano part comes in too, the mix seems a bit skewed to the left, and the acoustic guitar sounds sort of isolated over on the right in those parts. A bit of panning might even it out a bit, more so than levels maybe. The timing seemed fine to me, nothing really stood out, i wouldn't quantize anything, which to my mind defeats the purpose of recording live in the first place, a bit of natural variation is all part of the character. I'd cut the mini-sermon vocal at the end, i know it's meant to, but it just sounds a bit preachy and cliched to me, i think the song already has that message, and it's a bit redundant. I'll add that 'Christian Contemporary' is something that i would rarely listen to by choice, and usually pretty "cringe-worthy" to me, but i enjoyed listening to this, so take that as you will. All the best.

Yes, acoustic was through D.I. I actually haven't really even thrown any EQ on it except a high pass at like 80hz. Noted, on the piano and electric volume, I have only listened to this on 1 system and it's a possibility that they poke through the mix a little more on other systems.

I see what you're saying about the little preaching at the end. I personally wouldn't have it there either but I feel that it is JJ's choice and I haven't asked him about it yet.

I appreciate the response and I would consider that a compliment. At least you could listen through it right? lol I have some other songs that I wrote and recorded but only finished 90% of years ago, Im probably gonna have to pull those out and finish them up. Maybe they will be more to some listener's liking, I know it could be hard to critique something when you feel you are being preached at. lol

Recording and mix are good. I think the prayer at the end seemed out of place. Praise and Worship (and prayer) is in the song. I understand doing this in a service, but seems out of place in the recording, maybe not. I go about spiritual music a little different, so take that for what it is worth (nothing ;) ).

Good recording and mix. Nice job.

....I know it could be hard to critique something when you feel you are being preached at. lol

Not at all, I chose to listen, and while I'm not Christian i have no problem with anyone sharing their beliefs. Much as DM60 said, i just thought it was a little out of context in the recording, though i didn't consider it may be a prayer. Glad you took my post as a compliment, good luck with the rest of your backlog.

Back