Back in the saddle again........almost

gerard

Covered the studio up almost a year ago and almost sold it all. I listed some mics and sold one but bought it back and decided to start playing and recording again. Fired it up a few days ago for the first time in ages and let it "cook" for a few hours before doing a full function test and it all worked good except the TASCAM MSR 16. Part of my pre test was to let the TASCAM "roll tape", after about 10 minutes, the capstan motor stopped, then it would play then stop again. Did this several times within a hour then just stopped all together.

No bearing noise or funky sounds, no magic smoke, no "whats that smell?", pinch roller and assy good, tape tension (L & R) assy good, checked some (not all yet) connectors behind front panel, removed remote control, all servo's work OK. Threaten with hot solder iron, no luck. The machine performed great before I "shut down", the studio has it's own central HVAC system plus everything was covered. I know things get funky it they "sit" unused over time but this just.....well.....ya know!

Wife wants me to sell my analog setup and go digital, mix with a mouse? No patchbay? HELP!

Jerry

Is the MSR-16 direct-drive like the MSR-24, or belt-drive like the TSR-8? If there is capstan belt, check that first.

All direct drive. Do you know if the MSR 16 shares any motors with the TASCAM 38? I'll try to re-seat all the connectors, hope a control card didn't go out.

If there are any common motors, it would be the reel ones. The capstan system is completely different, not least because it's belt-drive.

If the entire transport has stopped, and even if it's just the capstan, you might want to check the fuses - I didn't see that on your list. But if it's not that and it's not a belt-drive, then it's either a connector or a failed component somewhere, and I wouldn't like to guess where.

Oh, it might also be worth checking the tach roller, just in case - that can cause the transport to act strangely.

Have you ruled out sticky tape? Also, what is the condition of the rollers? The counter roller seems a frequent candidate for gooeiness.

Back