"Baby Bitch" by Ween - backing track with guide vocal.

Bubba po

Tiny Stonehenge Moment
Good evening! :)

Recently I posted a track called "Game Over", a recreation of a song by a friend of mine's old band.

My friend was so happy with the result he asked me if I'd help him with a couple of backing tracks for a few covers he's always wanted to do. This is the first of those, but as he hasn't got around to doing his vocal yet, you have my guide vocal. :D

Cello is a free VST, everything else is real. The high cello part is standing in for either harmonica, melodica, bagpipes or flute, depending on whichever player we manage to run down first! Anybody wishing to contribute is welcome to!

Thanks. :)

Love this! great sentiment, I'm not really getting the bass drum, but the bass seems really up front, on headphones as usual cos its late, cool vocal.

I rarely post, but Bubba, that's awesome you guys did this. I really dig the low strings during the chorus and the musical interlude prior to the final verse.

Really cool, great band, wonderful cover. Some of the best closing lyrics to a song ever. Made my day.

Daryl

Don't know the original. On headphones this sounds pretty well balanced. I didn't hear any issues with the bass. Drums, vocals sound good. Nice job

Love this! great sentiment, I'm not really getting the bass drum, but the bass seems really up front, on headphones as usual cos its late, cool vocal.

Thanks, Bruiser. I'll attend to those. :)

Yeah, bass is overpowering.

Terse but correct. :)

I rarely post, but Bubba, that's awesome you guys did this. I really dig the low strings during the chorus and the musical interlude prior to the final verse.

Really cool, great band, wonderful cover. Some of the best closing lyrics to a song ever. Made my day.

Daryl

Thanks, Daryl, really glad you liked it. I have to thank my mate for introducing me to this!

Don't know the original. On headphones this sounds pretty well balanced. I didn't hear any issues with the bass. Drums, vocals sound good. Nice job

Thanks, Bulls. I've raised the kick a little, given some 60Hz "oomph" to the overheads and lowered the bass guitar a dB or so. I also shelved some of the lows off it. Really pleased with the result. :)

Hey Bubba, cool cover choice. I didn't know this particular song - have considered some other Ween tunes in the past as covers (The Mollusc and Bananas & Blow are particularly great songs of theirs), but haven't as I'm not sure I could pull them off. I think you've done a good job so far and I'm guessing you've made some updates since the previous comments? Bass doesn't sound over powering to me. Drums sound great as usual.

The cello does sound a little VSTish - have you ever tried the DSK strings plug? It's a free one, but you can get some nice natural tones with it. Worth trying if not.

It's all well balanced - the vocals sound a little rough in spots, but if they're only a guide then that's no issue. There's no reason you couldn't do the final ones with a little more familiarity as it sounds well within your capability.

A nice listen mate :)

Sounds real good Bubba. Bass seems more in scale with the rest of the arrangement. The vocal sits very well in the mix, lots of space around it, the right amount of ambience. Nice harmony and strings during the refrain, right level and panned nice and wide. Likewise the acoustic guitar, panned wide and as loud as it needs to be but no louder. This is a confident and purposeful mix, of the sort that I aim for in my music too. Performances are very good. Is that your friend from the other song on lead vocal?

Sounds real good Bubba. Bass seems more in scale with the rest of the arrangement. The vocal sits very well in the mix, lots of space around it, the right amount of ambience. Nice harmony and strings during the refrain, right level and panned nice and wide. Likewise the acoustic guitar, panned wide and as loud as it needs to be but no louder. This is a confident and purposeful mix, of the sort that I aim for in my music too. Performances are very good. Is that your friend from the other song on lead vocal?

Hi, Robus. No it's not my friend Andy yet, that's my guide vocal so that Frank could place himself in the song. It's rare for me to track a song with drums last, but it seems to have worked this time. :D

Thanks very much for your comments, I tried to go for a mix that was less dense than a lot of my stuff, laid off the mastering a bit and tried to allow the instruments their own space.

Hey Bubba, cool cover choice. I didn't know this particular song - have considered some other Ween tunes in the past as covers (The Mollusc and Bananas & Blow are particularly great songs of theirs), but haven't as I'm not sure I could pull them off. I think you've done a good job so far and I'm guessing you've made some updates since the previous comments? Bass doesn't sound over powering to me. Drums sound great as usual.

The cello does sound a little VSTish - have you ever tried the DSK strings plug? It's a free one, but you can get some nice natural tones with it. Worth trying if not.

It's all well balanced - the vocals sound a little rough in spots, but if they're only a guide then that's no issue. There's no reason you couldn't do the final ones with a little more familiarity as it sounds well within your capability.

A nice listen mate :)

Thanks, Rob - I'll look into that VST. The cello I use (in its proper range) I think sounds ok, but it shows its creakiness in the higher registers. My mate wants to do "Mr Jones" by the Psychedelic Furs, next, but I'm losing my drummer this weekend. :wail: :D

I thought this was really good. Things sound nice. The performances were good for the most part. I thought there was a bobbled note or two in the vocal.

I would bring up the acoustic guitar a little bit. It's kind of buried.

It's kind of reverb-y. But I liked it. Maybe I'm in a good mood cause I usually don't like much verb. But I thought it worked well.

The drums sounded really good. Especially the snare.

Fuck me, mate. This is a Goodun.

Love the drum sound, everything stands on its own. Don't know the original well but I'm gonna have a listen now.
Wouldn't mind a keeper of this.

Fuck me, mate. This is a Goodun.

Love the drum sound, everything stands on its own. Don't know the original well but I'm gonna have a listen now.
Wouldn't mind a keeper of this.

Cheers, JDOD. I'll get around to commenting on your stuff I see in the clinic. I've had a hiatus. I'll set the track to download - it's a wav, though. :D

Cheers, JDOD. I'll get around to commenting on your stuff I see in the clinic. I've had a hiatus. I'll set the track to download - it's a wav, though. :D
No worries, mate. The last track I posted up is a low priority one to me, it's one of them tracks where I'm not sure if I like it. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

I'll download Baby Bitch in the morning. Listened to the original now, prefer your version.

Is this the new vocalist? The mix sounds pretty good. Two quibbles were the bass level, which I found a bit loud, and the ambiance on the lead vocal. Don't know if it was too much reverb or the wrong reverb, but it sounded like he was singing in a well.

Well done. Organic sound to it that I like.
The drums stand out vs past recordings. Your drummer got better in the past few months. Tighter timing and they sound better recording-wise, too.

The VST cello doesn't bother me in the slightest. Nobody doing rock music even knows what a cello is supposed to sound like, and you could always just call it 'keyboards' and people would have less a fit about the sound of it because a keyboard is allowed to sound like anything. Does it sound like a cello? No. Does it sound good as a keyboard? Yes.

The vocal sounds a hair loud, like 1db. The rest sounds spot on. I don't have a problem with the ambiance or reverb on the vocal. Sounds good for the genre. A couple lines during the "Baby baby" part sounded off pitch (almost sounds like you gave up on the note before it was done or something) but nothing I personally care about, but others might.

Well done. Organic sound to it that I like.
The drums stand out vs past recordings. Your drummer got better in the past few months. Tighter timing and they sound better recording-wise, too.

The VST cello doesn't bother me in the slightest. Nobody doing rock music even knows what a cello is supposed to sound like, and you could always just call it 'keyboards' and people would have less a fit about the sound of it because a keyboard is allowed to sound like anything. Does it sound like a cello? No. Does it sound good as a keyboard? Yes.

The vocal sounds a hair loud, like 1db. The rest sounds spot on. I don't have a problem with the ambiance or reverb on the vocal. Sounds good for the genre. A couple lines during the "Baby baby" part sounded off pitch (almost sounds like you gave up on the note before it was done or something) but nothing I personally care about, but others might.

Hi, Nola. Thanks for commenting. :)

Back