B1 versus V67 handling noise tests

To answer your question, there was no recall because there are a very limited amount of B Series mics out there with the old mount. When we became aware of the problem we stopped shipping the stock we had until it was resolved. And the stock we did have was all modified before it was released, and since then all new mics have the proper capsule mount. In addition all reps and current dealers where made aware of the situation, and if any dealers had stock of the B series with the old mount, we took them back and replaced them. If dealers received any complaints from users, they where encouraged to contact us at which point we would pick up the mics and mod them.

Oh ok, that's good to know... I don't think there is anything wrong with my B series mic's (except one and that's my fault) but I'll shake the others tomorrow just to make sure. Thank you Justin. :)

This post is to confirm what Justin said... I have some of the older Studio Projects B1's and B3's and I checked them out and they are 100% ok. :)

Re: I got one good & one bad... what to do now??

knowdoubt said:
I have a matched pair of B1's that I got from 8th street a little over a week ago... made arrangements with 8th street to exchange the bad one...

What will you do about the "matched" part of your Matched pair if they are going to just exchange? Shouldn't you exchange both for another matched pair? Who matched them?

Re: Re: I got one good & one bad... what to do now??

jdier said:
What will you do about the "matched" part of your Matched pair if they are going to just exchange? Shouldn't you exchange both for another matched pair? Who matched them?

Matching Studio Projects mic are easy to match... they come with colored dots (red, green, or black) and all you have to do is get two SP mic's with the same colored dots and they will be matched.

I.E. two SP B1's with black dots.

The little round colored dots are on the outside of the box and or in the manual.

I have an unrelated question: I have the SP B1 and just got the MXL V67G today, but I noticed that I have to raise the gain on the V67G past 1/3 to get the same level as the B1 on 1/4. Just curious if this is normal.

Also, regarding the B1 problem: I bought my B1 last September and sometimes I get pops/clicks in my recordings, but I can't tell if it's due to the mic. I've tried replacing my cables to Mogami and upgrading my computer, and it seems to occur far less but occasionally I still hear it.

Last, I was thinking about getting a shockmount, and was wondering if there was one that fits both the B1 and the V67G. Thanks :)

"I have an unrelated question: I have the SP B1 and just got the MXL V67G today, but I noticed that I have to raise the gain on the V67G past 1/3 to get the same level as the B1 on 1/4. Just curious if this is normal."
-----

I think I read someone saying that the B1 has a little more gain than the V67... but, I'm not sure... next time we have the two out at the same time in the studio I'll check.
-----

"Also, regarding the B1 problem: I bought my B1 last September and sometimes I get pops/clicks in my recordings, but I can't tell if it's due to the mic. I've tried replacing my cables to Mogami and upgrading my computer, and it seems to occur far less but occasionally I still hear it."
------

No, that's another SP B1 problem or maybe your computer or there could be a little moister in your SP B1... try putting your mic under a 100 watt light bulb for about 6 hours or so to dry it out and see if that helps. If not, contact Justin and ask him to help you... he's a nice guy.
-----

"Last, I was thinking about getting a shockmount, and was wondering if there was one that fits both the B1 and the V67G."
-----

The B1 uses the Studio Projects LQ-21 shock mount.
The V67 uses the MXL57 Shock mount.

Last edited:
Back