B1 or C1????????????

new2mix

I have the option to buy a Studio Projects C1 for 145$s plus 8$s shipping or a B1 new for 119$ shipped. I will record acoustic guitars with it mainly but also some vocals and I wanted to try it out as a cabinet mic for my guitar. basically and all around mic. Which of these would you get? I have a studio projects VSTB1 preamp as well if that makes any difference.

will an electric guitar amp at decent volume mess either one of these up?

Comments?

also If I have an Alesis Multimix USB mixer with phantom power what is the correct way to turn on the phantom power?

I have currently been turning on the mixer, turning down all the volumes and gain, plugging in the mic, and then turning on the phantom power. Is this correct?

Is the CAD M179 a better Mic or just better overall for both and not as good for either individually? what is an msh 1?

new2mix said:
I have the option to buy a Studio Projects C1 for 145$s plus 8$s shipping or a B1 new for 119$ shipped. I will record acoustic guitars with it mainly but also some vocals and I wanted to try it out as a cabinet mic for my guitar. basically and all around mic. Which of these would you get? I have a studio projects VSTB1 preamp as well if that makes any difference.

will an electric guitar amp at decent volume mess either one of these up?

Comments?

also If I have an Alesis Multimix USB mixer with phantom power what is the correct way to turn on the phantom power?

I have currently been turning on the mixer, turning down all the volumes and gain, plugging in the mic, and then turning on the phantom power. Is this correct?

Based on your usage, and on the two mics you mentioned, I'd go for the SP B1 first. It's a pretty amazing low cost LDC with a less-hyped upper mid/top end compared to the C1. The C1 was designed to be a vocal mic with a frequency response profile designed to "cut" through the mix. The B1 was designed to have a smoother, less hyped profile. Another way to say it is that the B1 is a "more honest" mic. If you like the sound of your voice and acoustic guitar the way they are, without cranking up the top end, then the SP B1 is the one to go for. It works well with electric guitar amps too. The B1 is also a bit quieter on the self-noise side of things.

As far as your equipment turn-on process is concerned, it looks fine. Be sure to turn off the phantom power (with the speakers muted) before you disconnect the condenser mic.

I have to agree with everyone here....I have a B1 and a C1 and like mentioned, the C1 is more a a vocal mic while the B1 is good all around... Im also quite fond of the B1 on a bass cab. I like Big Kenny's idea of the MSH-1 and the C1...I was actually thinking that before I read his post. But if you go with that option, I dont think you would be pleased with either of these on a guitar cab.

Back