B.L.U.E. Dragonfly

still4given

Got my ticket!
I keep hearing good things about this mic. Do some of you have 'em? What do you use it on? GC is selling them for $699 each if you buy a pair. Is this a good price? This puts them in the same price range a the Shure KSM 44. Is the Dragonfly in the same class as the 44?

Thanks, Terry

It's pretty different, so it's hard to compare the two.

It's a more tailored mic compared to the 44. It has the scooped mids thing going on, but it's done a lot differently than most out there do it. If you look at it's frequency response, you'll notice most of the BLUE mics don't have a lot of jagged peaks and dips all over the place (like an sm57, for example). All of it's peaks and dips are very gradual, so they're more like inclines and declines. :D Anyway, it helps give it a smooth, professional character that I like about Blue mics in general, and it takes EQ exceptionally well. They're just slick mics, and the DF is no exception.

I have kind of a love/hate relationship with it on vocals, because it either sounds brilliant on the right voice or like ass on the wrong one. But that's true with anything, so don't listen to me. When it matches well with the voice, it's amazing, magic, all that stuff.

It might be one of the best-kept secrets on guitar amp. Not necessarily on the overdriven stuff, but on clean to mildly overdriven, nothing really touches it.

One of the better accoustic guitar mics out there, too. Never tried it on drums, but I've heard they work well.

I like this mic. I think Chessrock nails it pretty well.

I bet that one of the other dealers would match that on a per mic price without making you buy a pair.

Steve
www.mojopie.com

Thanks guys, sounds like a nice mic. I'm thinking that GC will sell one for that price too. Maybe not, but it has been my experience that if a salesman thinks he can make a sale that day, he will do his best to separate you from you money. :D

I've been kinda jonesin' for a KSM 44 as well which is why I mentioned it. I aready have a KSM32 though so I'm thinking that the Dragonfly might give me a little more variety.

Thanks again, Terry

Back