B-E-A-D on a 4-string bass?

barefoot said:
Either of you find any issue with buzzing frets on the B?

I run a C on a 30" scale length, I just raised to action to avoid that. But I like a lot of buzzing and growling tone, so if it's a little dirty it's not a problem for me.

I recorded my entry on the bass tapping rumble with it:

As long as everything is setup right, it should be OK, but 34 inch scale B strings tend to sound a bit floppy. Also, if the neck isn't stiff enough, you are probably going to find the B string doesn't sound tight enough for the style you are talking about. If you can, try to find a bass which has a carbon re-enforced neck as well as a truss rod. It will make a big difference in the sound of the B string. It could never get the "Motown" bass sound, but that's not what your after, so who cares.

If you do it, make sure you get a taper-wound B string, which should help with the floppiness, and will absolutely help with the intonation (non-taper-wound B strings are a real bitch to get to play in tune).

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Oh, and you might want to seriously consider either EMG active pickups, or Bartolini pickups. If go with Bartolini, I'd get one of their ±9 volt preamps (most of their preamps can be used in either a 9v, 18v, or ±9v configuration. ±9 is going to give you the most head room, which is a very good thing for the kind of tight, focused low end I'm assuming you are after).

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Thanks Light!

The more I investigate the more I think I might get the sound I want from a stiff neck/body like you said and a humbucker positioned well up toward the neck position. Sort of capturing the deep side of a bright harmonic sound. Know of any longer scale 4-strings that might fit the bill?

I'll probably build the preamp myself. And since this will strictly be a studio bass I might design an external regulated power supply connected to the bass via a multi pin XLR connector. Then I can make the guts sort of like a mic pre. Should be a fun little project.

Ibanez BTB200?

Edit: $329 at Sam Ash. I think maybe I'm looking for something a little more upscale.

barefoot said:
Ibanez BTB200?

Edit: $329 at Sam Ash. I think maybe I'm looking for something a little more upscale.

I tend to like Ibanez's inexpensive basses, for a bass with a more modern sound (which is likely what you're after).

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Back