Axe-fx?

thenextbigthing

I was wondering does the axe fx create whatever kind of tone that you want, pretty much? And the big question. How exactly do you
hook this thing up if you wanted to use it live? Say all I had was a guitar and a Randall half stack, what would I have to do to play this live? Is there anything else I would have to buy to use it? What kinda pedal do I
need to select the sounds on it? I just need a step by step explanation on how to accomplish this.

Agreed - you just asked about six incredibly vague, open-ended questions. Read about it a bit more, and then if you have any specific questions, we can try to help you then.

Firmware 10.0 just came out, and is supposed to be spectacular - word is, if you're interested in any kind of a modeler, this is the one to get.

I don't think he's literally suggesting that you sell anything, especially if you're gigging live... I think he's just implying that the tone out of the Axe-FX beats the pants off of the standalone Randell...

I thought that he was implying that the Axe-FX is so overpriced that the OP would have to pawn everything that he owns just to purchase one. Only an ultra-noob would spend that kind of cash on a crappy digital distortion box. It may be one of the best modelers on the market but it still sounds digital and fake. A decent tube amp will slay any modeler in existence.

I thought that he was implying that the Axe-FX is so overpriced that the OP would have to pawn everything that he owns just to purchase one. Only an ultra-noob would spend that kind of cash on a crappy digital distortion box. It may be one of the best modelers on the market but it still sounds digital and fake. A decent tube amp will slay any modeler in existence.

The Match Game
starring......................

Gene Rayburn:

"The only way someone can truly get great tone is to (blank)."

Phyllis Diller "500 situps a day, or a night with Fang."
Fernando Llamas "I amp partial to canuba oil, but I'll use Coppertone if that's all I can find."
Liberace "Hmmm, I think it's all in the way you stroke the keys."
J.P. Morgan "Buy him drinks 'till midnite..............OH, I thought you said BONE!"

Last edited:

I haven't played one, and from the sound of it the first couple firmware versions (say, up to 3 or so) were merely "a better Pod," but word is the last couple versions are phenomenal, and there have been ample stories of people who should know better selling tube rigs for them and never looking back. I don't foresee me ditching my Roadster any time soon, but I'm very curious to try one.

Also worth considering - the FX are supposed to be on par with an Eventide, maybe better. A lot of big name guitarists who still use tube rigs (Steve Vai and John Petrucci come to mind) have started using these simply as FX units, because they're as powerful and as good sounding as the refrigerator sized racks they'd been running before.

So, don't think of it as a "crappy distortion box" as much as the best modeler on the market (take that for what you will) with an upgraded Eventide tossed in.

This thing seems to be popping up everywhere. Have checked the samples but still am not convinced. Think Ocnor was spot on in that it sounds like either a great modeller, but also like a great modeller.

I thought that he was implying that the Axe-FX is so overpriced that the OP would have to pawn everything that he owns just to purchase one.

Well at least a pawn of all analog FX and pedals since there is simply no need. So assuming a seasoned and experienced guitar player thats about a grand available for this right away.

Only an ultra-noob would spend that kind of cash on a crappy digital distortion box.

Its digital compared to real amps. But an Eventide H8000 is also digital compared to real analog stomp boxes.

It may be one of the best modelers on the market but it still sounds digital and fake. A decent tube amp will slay any modeler in existence.

You miss the point of what an Axe FX is supposed to model. Its not supposed to model a tube amp, it models a tube amp in front of a mic in a separate isolated acoustically treated room from the player - going into preamps and sounds like going into an SSL. and finally to the control room monitored totally isolated from the cab. And does so well. But even the real thing in that controlled setting would sound artificial since everything is so isolated and elements detached. But in this comparison - all you merely need to do is hear big time engineers taking blindfolded pepsi-style taste challenges and many are picking the Axe FX as the real thing and the they are thinking the real thing is the simulation. :p

So its actually better than the real thing. Just like owning an Eventide is whey better sounding than effects pedals.

And for live - this setup actually out performs any tube amp in any venue a questionable live-sound technician with non-guaranteed live miking techniques with a signal fed into crappy dbx gear.

Seriously man, if you think its just another digital distortion unit then you need to get your ears checked or your DAW fixed.

Also worth considering - the FX are supposed to be on par with an Eventide, maybe better.

:laughings:

This is a misconception. Please do not compare the Axe FX multi-effects nor the character of the single effects in it to an Eventide. The main seller of the Axe FX is the amps and cabs or imported cab user slots and EQs and filters, and basic FX. But nothing sounds like an Eventide.

The Axe FX has a very unique quality in that the more effects pedals you put in the effects block the more vintage it sounds. Its unbelievably analog sounding in this regard. And the cool FX routings are neat with series or parallel or hybrids of this feeding only the tails of a delay to a pitch shifter while having the chorus un-affected.

So as for basic guitar FX - the Axe FX is any guitar player's dream - but if you need more creative multi-FX or even outerworldly insane multi-FX, then the Eventide is the clear winner.

A lot of big name guitarists who still use tube rigs (Steve Vai and John Petrucci come to mind) have started using these simply as FX units, because they're as powerful and as good sounding as the refrigerator sized racks they'd been running before.

Perhaps for a delay or chorus or phaser - but for their main effects they are using eventides. At least Steve Vai is. The reason they are using the Axe FX is for its realistic amp simulation. That is what the Axe FX specializes in.

So, don't think of it as a "crappy distortion box" as much as the best modeler on the market (take that for what you will) with an upgraded Eventide tossed in.

:eek:

Its effects presets are nowhere near the creative Eventide FX and the Eventide has a whey more hyper-intense 3D and gooey character to it. You are making a serious error in your comparision. Have you even played an eventide eclipse or the H-series or the Orville or old DSP series? There is nothing like this in an Axe FX.. only basic delays, and basig guitar effects, and a couple of crystal sound programming attempts by the engineer Cliff. I urge you to actually go play an Eventide because you have no idea about what you are talking about by saying the Axe FX has an upgrade Eventide tossed in.

If one is looking for basic delays and choruses then the Axe FX is fine, but if they want presets that rightfully deserve such names as "particle-accelerator" then there is a reason the Eventide H series cost twice as much as the Axe FX. The effects are far beyond it and the character is whey more surreal.

Back