awful sound through line 1/mic input on audio interface

liamkingdon

My audio interface has 2 inputs, one jack, one xlr. The xlr supports phantom power. When I plug a guitar or bass or synth into the jack it sounds fine, however if i plug one into the xlr with phantom power turned off, (also has an additional switch on this input between mic/line in) it sounds terrible, lots of noise, crackling etc. However with phantom power on and a mic plugged in it sounds fine. I have no problem with this for recording as I just use the jack for instruments, however if I want to jam with 2 guitars and electronic drums, the second guitar is unlistenable. I don't know a huge amount about different signals but thought maybe its a problem with compatibility with impedance, power etc? or i just have a faulty audio interface! any light that can be shed would be much appreciated.

My audio interface has 2 inputs, one jack, one xlr. The xlr supports phantom power. When I plug a guitar or bass or synth into the jack it sounds fine, however if i plug one into the xlr with phantom power turned off, (also has an additional switch on this input between mic/line in) it sounds terrible, lots of noise, crackling etc. However with phantom power on and a mic plugged in it sounds fine. I have no problem with this for recording as I just use the jack for instruments, however if I want to jam with 2 guitars and electronic drums, the second guitar is unlistenable. I don't know a huge amount about different signals but thought maybe its a problem with compatibility with impedance, power etc? or i just have a faulty audio interface! any light that can be shed would be much appreciated.

what interface do you have?

What interface and how are you connecting your guitar to the xlr? Are you using an adapter?

I'm just guessing, but a DI box would probably help.

Back