Awesome cheap Vocal Booth

Then it isolates you from basically nothing. All outside noises will be picked up by your mic to a greater or lesser degree and may need to be processed out depending on what you record. Air gaps however small will let the outside noise get to your mic.

The main purpose of a sound booth is to isolate you from sound which you do not want to record. Treating sound when recording is entirely different and does not have to be done in a tiny box.
that would be true if he was recording with a band or if there was noise that he needed to be isolated from. I think he is only trying to remove reflective sound if I understand correctly.

Agreed. Then there is no use for a booth. Duvets on the wall of a room may do job. But whatever.
Yes but a tent would require a lot less treatment than an entire room, plus many rooms have no space on the walls for treatment. Just sayin'... the OP found a good solution that works for him (not what I would do but good for him).

Whatever works for you.

I have also found that taking a room to a smaller box only helps the ego of someone who doesn't want others to hear. It is usually not a good thing for the recording quality...

Open space is way better in my experience.

But cheers back to you! Enjoy the holiday!

Let's hear the change! :)
DISAGREE! NOT IF ITS PROPERLY TREATED...AND NOT TOO MENTION HOW FAR ALONG WE'VE COME IN THE DIGITAL WORLD. ALSO SKILLS AND TALENT BEATS ALL REGARDLESS WHERE IS RECORDED! MY OPINION.

I'm a member of Amazon Vine, where I get access to free things in exchange for writing honest reviews.

I took a chance and grabbed this when it was available:

Amazon link

It's nice and works well. I don't know if I would pay $400, but you could make the frame from PVC and drape blankets from Harbor Freight over it. It's held up well and works fine when I need it.

I put a little USB fan inside, an LED shop light, and an on/off switch I had lying around. I would guess for maybe $100, something similar could be constructed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Somebody wrote a review describing it as disappointing? So you bought one, but you also say it’s not worth $400?

so are you recommending it? Is the moving blanket able to keep sound out, or is it a posh version of hanging a duvet?

reviews seem very unbalanced, which one is yours?

frankly, I didn’t know Amazon pay people in kind for reviews, that’s the last review I ever do for things I buy if they pay some people!

the balance of the re views are negative.

the Amazon link seemed to have some extra information in it, I fixed it for you with the result of an Amazon search to the item.

Amazon doesn't pay for reviews. The Vine program is offered to people who write detailed reviews that get a lot of 'was helpful' type of feedback.

I had reviewed almost every product I received from Amazon for over a decade and was invited to participate. There's no penalty for writing bad reviews; Amazon encourages that if you don't like the product. It works for a probationary period you can choose from products valued up to $100. After that, the value is unlimited. For example, I have gotten audio interfaces, microphones, cables, a mattress and bedframe for a guest room, an on-demand water heater, the vocal booth, tons of acoustic panels, etc.

A lot of the musical gear I get is donated to a local college with an audio program. A few local high schools utilize the studios there, so it's good for me (tax write-off) and for them.

For the vocal booth, it's great for free. For $400, I would build something similar out of PVC and Harbor Freight blankets. If you're in a noisy environment or have a lot of room reflections, it can help.

I like to build things, and after putting it together, I could build it out of PVC vs. the metal frame they give you.

That being said - the booth I received can be taken apart and moved, it came with a very nice bag, detailed instructions, a Tablet holder, a built-in shelf, and a sewn top that fits neatly in the frame.

For some people, those features may be worth the money.

If you have 1.5" PVC and some T's (to run a centerpiece), you could construct something similar using moving blankets from Harbor Freight. It would cost $100 - $150 and a few hours to build. Of course, that's assuming you have the tools to cut the PVC, know how to put grommets in moving blankets, don't care about how the top looks, etc.

Like anything else, DIY will usually be cheaper, but for some spending the extra money to get it all made is worth it.

My review is under 'Noah'. I have some photos as well. Also, any review by someone provided with a no-cost product will have Vine next to the review.

This is my review:

This is a review of the Gearit vocal booth. The first thing I would like to say is that assembly is incredibly easy. It took me a half hour to unpack and assemble the booth. There are two suggestions I would make before assembling. First is to read through the directions, which are very clear, and second is to use a quality 5mm key. One is included, but it's not the best.

Pros:

Sets up easily, looks great, and does kill ambient noise. If someone above you plays bass-heavy television, you will hear it, but it does what it's supposed to do extremely well. Great for vocals, guitar amps, and the like.

Cons:

Expensive for what it is. Technically, one could make this out of PVC and some moving blankets. It would be a pain, as most blankets don't have grommets, and the top would have to be improvised, so it wouldn't look as nice. It's a little bit small. Good for vocals, but it would be hard to do, for example, an acoustic guitar in the booth. It probably could be done, but it wouldn't be that comfortable.

This isn't a deal killer because it's made to be portable.

Some tips:

Expect to add a small fan for in-between takes and a light. I'm using a shop light ($10) with an LED (no heat) bulb tilted upward to reduce glare.

Included accessories are kind of cheap, but they are includedI chose not to use the small screws at the base because it seemed unnecessary.

If you're planning to move this around, I would suggest doing the same.

Run a power strip and your headphone amp cables in before putting up the blanket walls.

You're going to want a strip for iPad/Kindle lyrics, a headphone amp, a fan, and light. Just figure it into the cost.

Lastly, and I can't stress this enough - you'll need a mic stand with a round base. I'm 5'9 and with a tripod, my back is hitting the curtain. I like K&M stands, but I'm using an old Atlas round base (from when they were solid!). It works great with more valuable mics (mostly Neumann U87 or Mojave MA-201 here).

61nlnOuzhcL.jpg

71GGKmJbzrL.jpg

71kCYqo-LhL.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: TAE
Yeah I did the moving blanket vocal booth...Agree with the boxy weird sound but then again I only used it a few times and then went back to the regular room. For dead silence it is great but I sure had a tough time getting a good vocal out of it.

In case you get tired of recording in a tent, which produces sounds as if you were recording in a tent, a simple and elegant solution would be to use a large diaphragm dynamic microphone with good off-axis rejection like an SM7 or RE20.

Thought I'd post this here, a reply to another thread.
I completely changed the quality of my vocals by taking out the room, ready for it.................... get a used large as you can find portable fold up ice fishing shanty, got mine on craigslist for $80.00. drape the exterior with cheap shipping blankets, hang same type of blankets from the rods on the interior, place an old rug on the floor and boom! A completely storeable vocal booth anyone can use and then just fold up and store. All in I was at $130.00. I have completely changed how my vocals sound without a new mic, or any new outboard gear.
Cheers
I made an account to say thank you for this post!

Hey man, sounds like it worked out for you! That's great! The creative methods of creating that space is intriguing.

Great adventure. Thanks for putting it up for us. Are you going to be singing.. talking .. or both?

Back