Awesome cheap Vocal Booth

Small isolation vocal booths can be useful ...especially in places where you are dealing with exterior noise. Your's is tidy , cheap and effective. I made a similar booth when I tracked my daughter several years ago. The vocal was clean and solid but it required work to make it sound right...IMO more than usual but the magnifying glass was out..
This said they are absolutely not required to get a professional vocal track.
10's of thousands of professional vocal tracks are recorded in larger studios, rooms, hell even in bedrooms

This guy and his buddies have pulled off a few nice recordings not using one

I thought general knowledge is not to record vocals in a ''booth'' unless said room sounds like ish and cannot be fixed by treating (within your budget)?
;
Right now and for the forseeable future I am recording vocals only. I am no superstar on reverb either, i follow the 'add reverb it until you can barely hear it and than remove some and play against the dry signal. If you still notice a diference but not an effect; you are in the right direction' camp

An Ice Shanty- Ha, that is some MI ish for sure. I commend the idea and am considering myself. Now if I could fit that inside of my room....I wonder if i would be better off than the classic, maximum treatment behind the mic and directly in front of it approach Im currently using or I would just be distorting things more?

Last edited:
I thought general knowledge is not to record vocals in a ''booth'...
It is. Unfortunately, most of us who have been doing this forever just avoid these threads now. I think most knowledgeable people are sick of telling people that singing in a box, or a tent, is a dumb idea and doesn't sound good. Because what happens is that you end up being accused of being "negative" and you get shut down by the people that have no idea how acoustics actually work.

Yes, a "vocal booth" in a professional studio is usually the size of most people's bedrooms, but newbies think a "booth" means it should be the size of a phone booth. :eek: Try explaining "standing waves" or anything else that matters, and you'll get people rolling their eyes telling you you're being "too technical".

If you see a picture of a "pro" singing in a "booth" that looks small, you can be assured that "box" is treated with more than your eye can see. It's not just foam, blankets, and "hope". Guaranteed.

Problem is, misinformation gets spread and multiplied this way. Knowledgeable people don't bother arguing, so the bullshit rises to the top. I mean, look at what happened in the first page of this thread. After that, most of us just sat back and let people sing in their laughable boxes and tents. Some people even edited their posts from "This is a dumb idea" to "Well, at least it's creative" just to not have to argue with fools. (Not just me, I saw a few other edits before they were edited). :)

It's also human nature to be stubborn, especially after spending 2 weeks building Fort Knox in your closet. Psycho-acoustics comes into play and people convince themselves that what they did sounds great, no matter what. The OP did that when a few people tried to talk some sense into him. His responses were all along the lines of "It sounds great...take a hike". Of course he's going to say that. Newbies for years have been doing stupid things and then claiming, "It sounds great to me". 5 years later they're like "I can't believe I convinced myself that was a good idea". We've all been there, which is why I have sympathy for these people.

Having said that, if you're doing voiceovers and your actual room is too noisy or something, a "booth" is probably better than nothing. But to think that singing inside a can of Pringle's is how the pro's do it is just a joke.

Can you imagine Robert Plant, Ian Gillan, Chris Cornell , David Bowie, etc.....singing in a fucking box? :D Please. Come on, people. Use common sense for once.

And now I will leave this thread, because I know I'm going to get shit on for being a dark cloud by people who don't know any better. But at least my post is on record for the next newbie who might actually want to learn something.

Sorry if I ruffled any feathers. Not my intention, but that's how learning works sometimes. :)

Last edited:
Rolling Stones recording vocals. I'm sure they had access to a box and some curtains. But they chose to record in the big room, like a bunch of amateurs. :D

OK, now I'm outta here......

I think an awful lot of people are like dude, watching some of the content here with sheer amazement and not wanting to say what we think.

That video of the foldable structure, that is squashed down into a very small carryable packet. It weighs so little too. If you pick it up and block your mouth with it, so all the output of your voice gets projected directly into the fabric - will have to pass through virtually all the mass of the booth, and how much can be heard? Practically all of it.

Any form of space made from lightweight nylon offers virtually zero scope for sound reduction when audio passes through. Bass travels through brick and concrete, male voices might be heard on the other side as a sort of 'noise', female frequency voices less so, and the stuff at the treble end don't make it. A lightweight structure might tail off a teeny amount of HF, but some pop filters are made from this kind of material.

Singing in a tent will still let in room sound, and let out your singing. My view is that whatever it costs, it's not worth it. I can see no advantage whatsoever, but plenty of negatives. What doesn't get through very well is air and heat, so it warms up and gets stuffy inside - plus entry and exit is a pain!

I suspect we're all thinking very similar. Vocal booths that are nice to sing in are larger, keep noise out and keep singing in, have ventilation that is silent and are nice to be in. This contraption is just plain silly!

Thank you for the insightful replies. For some reason the like button isn't working for me so you get a special thanks.

Rolling Stones recording vocals. I'm sure they had access to a box and some curtains. But they chose to record in the big room, like a bunch of amateurs. :D

OK, now I'm outta here......

Somehow I can't see the Stones trying to squeeze 7 people in a closet sized vocal booth! :-)

If the room your recording in sucks and you can't afford proper accoustic treatmet than starting off with a completely "roomless/booth" vocal may be the next best thing. I guess I understand the logic but not a fan.

A boom mic stand with a duvet on it is perfectly usable because it does something. These silly ‘booths’ are pop filters you can stand inside. They don’t keep sound in or out. They won’t remove room reflections, or soak up sound so it wont bounce back. These are bordering on a con!

to think that singing inside a can of Pringle's is how the pro's do it is just a joke
Just think though, you'll never be hungry !
Rolling Stones recording vocals. I'm sure they had access to a box and some curtains. But they chose to record in the big room, like a bunch of amateurs
Ironically, they recorded their first album in a studio that had egg cartons on the walls !

This is from Godard's movie, "One plus One." It's terrible. The only good bits {they're actually great} are the bits where the Stones are recording "Sympathy for the Devil." You really get to see the evolution of the song. The way it ended up is not like how it started when Jagger brought it to the studio.
Anyways.....earlier in some of the clips preceding this one, we see Mick actually recording his vocal takes { }. Pay attention to how he gets separation and the huge openness of the room he's in {at about 1:18}.
Somehow I can't see the Stones trying to squeeze 7 people in a closet sized vocal booth!
Ooh, I don't know. They were pretty pervy by '68 !

Glad to hear duvets are still "acceptable enough". It is most important to treat directly 1. Behind the mic 2. In front of the mic.?

3. (I cannot afford or justify purchasing with my skillset) so I will ignore.

Duvets are a barrier, so you look at the mic you have and work out where the destructive reflections are coming from? Cardioid mics have built in rear rejection, so its usually the wall behind you, so try the duvet there first. Big blank walls are great reflectors, and two facing each other, the worst. Tame these first. Duvets are pretty cheap. They do little for bass of course, but boxy rooms are usually higher up.

Okay, so if i understood right your priority list would not go 1. Behind the mic 2. Any parralel walls

instead of 2 in front of the mic? I figured in front of mic as second priority as that is the first (and strongest?) reflection point the sound tends to hit. (also in most cases most likely to end up hitting the area behind the mic?)

Either way it would be best to duvet the third and fourth wall up? Duvets are easily in budget ..... My thoughts were perhaps it is best to leave a bit of the room bare so the high end is not COMPLETELY dampened while the bass comes through fine........leaving my tech challenged arse to attempt to "add air and shine" with EQ too a low end heavy mix. (already tends to be with rap).

Let me know if your kind enough to take more time... Going from theory to practice is a bumpy road.

*edit* for (now bass traps are out of my budget) a must have for the genre, i know. On an off topic note has anyone heard GIK bass traps having an awful smell. An out of town pal got one and complains about it alot; of course those are the ones im eyeing. (hell if I want to work with OC703) srry if the #'s are wrong its been a minute.

Back