AVRI '62 Jazzmaster

Expensive... What's the street price? I'm not a fan of the shape but the specs sound good....and it has a REAL rosewood fretboard lol :D

Street price is $1700. But I grew up in corona where the custom shop is and have a contact who can get me a great price.

That thing between the lead pickup and the bridge is actually the bridge itself. The metal plate with the tremolo connected to it is not a bridge it's the tail piece. I had the Jazzmaster so its essentially the same guitar. I love these guitars!

yeah, that bridge/base plate set up gives it a really sweet vibrato that you can't really get with a strat, floyd rose, bigsby...of course, the same could be said of each of the other types of vibratos too...just way different.

It needs a bit of extra technique to get it to work well, because it doesn't return to pitch all that brilliantly. If you tweak the arm back to tune each time you use it though, it has a lovely sound.

Get a Japanese '66 reissue - half the money and just as good a guitar (I have the Jaguar one) . Does the AVRI have a modern radius fingerboard or the vintage 7.25" radius?

Just checked - yes it has the vintage radius. I think they do a lovely one with block inlays and a bound fingerboard, too.

Go Jap! :D

Just pray that it doesn't have the original (threaded) bridge barrels---one of the most untoward decisions Fender ever implemented---beneath that bridge cover. Bend a string enough (like a playa should!) and it would pop out of the groove (with accompanying noise) and remain out of tune and alignment. Fortunately, the whole bridge assembly pops in and out and accepts a LesPaul bridge with no modifications and, once adjusted, turns the JazzMaster into a real player's piece.

I have a 1965 JazzMaster (the second one I've owned). I haven't had a use for it over my LP, Strat or G&L, so it basically has not been used on a gig/session in decades. Everytime I take it out of its case it just reminds me how much better I like my other electrics. Don't get upset---that's a purely personal choice and not an indictment. Lord knows, a lot of people love 'em and use 'em well. I dare say the new models look better and more professional than any JazzMaster I remember from "back in the day."

Paj
8^)

Just pray that it doesn't have the original (threaded) bridge barrels---one of the most untoward decisions Fender ever implemented---beneath that bridge cover. Bend a string enough (like a playa should!) and it would pop out of the groove (with accompanying noise) and remain out of tune and alignment. Fortunately, the whole bridge assembly pops in and out and accepts a LesPaul bridge with no modifications and, once adjusted, turns the JazzMaster into a real player's piece.

I have a 1965 JazzMaster (the second one I've owned). I haven't had a use for it over my LP, Strat or G&L, so it basically has not been used on a gig/session in decades. Everytime I take it out of its case it just reminds me how much better I like my other electrics. Don't get upset---that's a purely personal choice and not an indictment. Lord knows, a lot of people love 'em and use 'em well. I dare say the new models look better and more professional than any JazzMaster I remember from "back in the day."

Paj
8^)

Both the AVRI and the Japanese reissues have the god-awful bridge. As far as putting a tune-o-matic in goes, there will be a fair bit of tweaking to do. The bridge post holes are in the right place, but you'll need to wrap enough insulation tape around each post to make a smooth push-fit into the thimbles, to stop the whole thing from rocking about and spoiling your set intonation. The tape mustn't be too close to the end of the adjustment screw because it may insulate the bridge from the ground wire and cause grounding problems and interference. Also, the extra height of the tune-o-matic may require you to shim the neck slightly. Finally, because the T-O-M is designed for a 12" radius fingerboard, the saddles for the top two strings and the bottom two strings will need to be filed deeper to fit with the tight 7.25" radius of the Jazzmaster. The best solution for me is to replace it with a Mustang bridge. Absolutely ultra simple fit, doesn't change the tone of the guitar at all and works well with the tremelo system.

I really like my Jag - it has an absolutely wonderful sound, but if you want to shred or you play lead a lot then there are much better guitars; sustain isn't fantastic because of the low break angle over the bridge dissipating some of the energy of the string, and heavy string bending on the plain strings high up the neck can cause choking off of the note because of the tight radius. You need to set the action slightly higher than you might on an L.P.

Both the AVRI and the Japanese reissues have the god-awful bridge. As far as putting a tune-o-matic in goes, there will be a fair bit of tweaking to do. The bridge post holes are in the right place, but you'll need to wrap enough insulation tape around each post to make a smooth push-fit into the thimbles, to stop the whole thing from rocking about and spoiling your set intonation. The tape mustn't be too close to the end of the adjustment screw because it may insulate the bridge from the ground wire and cause grounding problems and interference. Also, the extra height of the tune-o-matic may require you to shim the neck slightly. Finally, because the T-O-M is designed for a 12" radius fingerboard, the saddles for the top two strings and the bottom two strings will need to be filed deeper to fit with the tight 7.25" radius of the Jazzmaster. The best solution for me is to replace it with a Mustang bridge. Absolutely ultra simple fit, doesn't change the tone of the guitar at all and works well with the tremelo system.

I really like my Jag - it has an absolutely wonderful sound, but if you want to shred or you play lead a lot then there are much better guitars; sustain isn't fantastic because of the low break angle over the bridge dissipating some of the energy of the string, and heavy string bending on the plain strings high up the neck can cause choking off of the note because of the tight radius. You need to set the action slightly higher than you might on an L.P.

Thanks for all the tips guys! I actually have a mustang bridge I plan on putting on it. Some of my favorite players play jazzmasters for leads all the time, so I guess it depends on what you're going to do (Nels Cline?)...definitely not going to shred on this...I don't really know how to shred anyway.

Thanks for all the tips guys! I actually have a mustang bridge I plan on putting on it. Some of my favorite players play jazzmasters for leads all the time, so I guess it depends on what you're going to do (Nels Cline?)...definitely not going to shred on this...I don't really know how to shred anyway.

It's just the action that's a bit critical. You can't get it ultra-low, that's all! :D And you can always get good sustain with plenty of gain. The clean sustain just dies quite quickly. :)

I hope you like it!

Also, you'll be able to use .009 gauge strings with your Jazzmaster if you want. I can't really go lower than .010s on my Jag because of the short scale.

Bubba Po:

My bridge just dropped in and everything was fine---maybe is was the combination of parts/vintage. You appear to have a really good handle on the big picture for these Fenders and I'm sure aaronmcoleman is going to appreciate the tip about the Mustang bridges.

Paj
8^)

Bubba Po:

My bridge just dropped in and everything was fine---maybe is was the combination of parts/vintage. You appear to have a really good handle on the big picture for these Fenders and I'm sure aaronmcoleman is going to appreciate the tip about the Mustang bridges.

Paj
8^)

Hi, Paj, thanks for the compliment. It's definitely possible that the neck was already shimmed on yours so the standard bridge could be set higher to increase the break angle and sustain. As for the other stuff, if it seems fine to you then great! :D

weren't the old Jazzmasters 24" scale?

These seem to be 25.5.
I know the old Jaguars were 24" ..... I thought the Jazzmasters were the same.

EDIT .... ah, I see .... the Jags were 24" but the Jazzmasters were 25.5" ... THAT explains why i always liked Jazzmasters and didn't like Jags.

Get one on eBay used. I got my Jazzmaster for $850 and it came with everything a new one would. It still had the stickers on the pickguard and all. You'll see them on there every now and again.

weren't the old Jazzmasters 24" scale?

These seem to be 25.5.
I know the old Jaguars were 24" ..... I thought the Jazzmasters were the same.

EDIT .... ah, I see .... the Jags were 24" but the Jazzmasters were 25.5" ... THAT explains why i always liked Jazzmasters and didn't like Jags.

Exactly! I love fender guitars, but never really liked the jags at all, now I know.

Get one on eBay used. I got my Jazzmaster for $850 and it came with everything a new one would. It still had the stickers on the pickguard and all. You'll see them on there every now and again.

Which model?

I've got a buddy who can get deals so a used would have to be a smoking deal to beat what he can get. Otherwise I would have scoured CL for a year or so hoping something pops up.

Back