avoiding doubled notes

postalblue

when i'm programming drums, i usually sequence the basic rhythm pattern for the song, then copy-paste it to as many bars as the song has, and then do the sequence-editing as i do the arranging. but what happens sometimes is that i get notes copied over one another, then i have to go over them deleting the double ones. is there a way to prevent this? could it be because if chose 'blend old with new' or something like that?

Is the clips overlaping, as in one clips end is mixed with the beginning from another? If it's that, turning the Copy to "Overwrite will help", but I'd say that the best sollution would be to cut the clips before you paste them. :)

how do i cut the clips, professor moskus? i'd try to find out by myself before asking, but i'm so far away from my home studio i want to cry.

Professor Moskus... LOL!!! :D

Anyway: Say you want to cut a clip into 2 measures. Place the marker at the first whole measure (say measure 3) and hit S. Now set the marker at measure 5 and hit S again. Now you have a perfect 2 measure-long clip that can be copied without overlaping (if you copy it to the start of, say, measure 5). :)

Like to try...

My CAL for Anti Duplicate Events ?

BTW, it only works for MIDI Track contains single notes assigned (eg. Splited Drums track). For example, if the "doubled note" has "higher key" note on it, or "lower key" below exactly on the same time in the same track, it won't remove the duplicated note. this case, you'll need to split the Drum track into separate tracks for each note (key) before. You can do this by running Split to track.CAL first...

Attachments

• anti duplicate.zip
    496 bytes · Views: 5
...umh, if there's no higher or lower note to the duplicated note at exactly same time, it will work even with "unsplited to track" drum track. For example :
All in one track

Kick --> Measure 1, 3, 5, 7.
Snare --Measure 2, 4, 6, 8.
Hihat --> Measure 1, 2,4, 5, 6.
(...it's just an example don't try imagine how it sounds :))

Kick has Double notes in Measure 1 & 3. Then only duplicate on Measure 3 will be deleted, because there's higher note (hihat) in measure 1 along with the kick, while nothing else than kick in measure 3. Humble simple CAL from loooong loooooong time ago, but once you get used, you'll get free of duplicate...

cool. thanks a lot guys.
another thing. how do you bounce your drums tracks? i had read somewhere here about how to do it in cakewalk, but i can't remember where? what i'm doing right now is copying for example the cymbals to one midi track, then bouncing to audio. repeat for kick and so on.
i know there's a better way to do this, i just can't figure out how.

What do you mean by that? Is it literaly: "How do I do bounce to track?" or more like "How do I bounce to track"?

no, teacher, i mean is there a simpler way to do that? i can swear (oops, no swearing in class) i saw something about this in a thread here. i'll look it up, and come back with a link.

The way i do this :

I make a "Drum Map" of my drum kit. This allow me to "SOLO" the notes that i want to bounce instead of splitting notes to tracks.

Hope this will help

Have Fun

Musart

Look at this link for creating a drum map :

http://www.cakewalk.com/Tips/TechTipApril02_3.asp

Now that you have created a drum map, simply press the solo button (In the left panel where the note name are) of the drums notes group you want to bounce. And then proceed with the bounce procedure as usual.

Re-Do this for every drums note group you want to bounce in wave tracks. You may also "Solo" many drum notes group you want at the same time to get them combined in one tracks.

For example :

Press solo on the snare note group if you want to bounce only to a snare wave track.

Press solo on Crash and Hi-Hat if you want a combined Crash and Hi-hat wave track.

Make sure that you "unsolo" the notes group after you bounced it before bouncing a new track of different note group.

Hope this will help ... I'm not very good in English (I Live in Montreal) so maybe this won't be clear.

Again .... Have fun

Musart

Back