Average Cost of Guitar & Amp Services...

WERNER 1

Hey guys, I was wondering about the general cost one could expect to pay for certian Gutiar and Amp services......would you all care to input the types of fees involved on these services in your local area?

Guitar & Bass:

-Set up for Both hard tail and Trem. model guitars

-Pickup installations

-Fret Polishing

-Custom Wiring

Amps:

Biasing

Repair (Hourly Rates?)

Custom Mods

Speaker Swap

General Services:

Pedal Mods and Custom work

Thanks,
Rick

Sorry about that,.... for some reason every time I try and post a new thread on this site I have a TON of trouble getting it to "Stick".....This was the case this time as well. :( So what I did was real quick type up a test thread with some bogus text and submit it real fast like and it works.....the I go back in and "Edit" everything back to the way I wanted to post in the first place........not real efficient eh?

Thanks,
Rick

I'd love to offer some help but I honestly have no idea. I was quoted £40-£50 for a setup in my nearest shop that does that sort of thing.

No idea about amps or pedals... I need to find out though, I have an amp that needs retubing, but more than likely I'll just get my dad to do that for me...

Well thanks for the reply at least :) ...

Retubing is very simple for the most part....depending on what amp you have you may need to have it re-biased as well.... good luck!

Rick

WOW,....talk about a dead thread ...:confused:

Oh well...
One reason why you have few replies is that the question is a bit broad. I charge each job on merit and quote before doing anything. Like cars every make and model has it's own easy and not so easy fixes. A lot also depends on location and how much you prepared to pay an experienced guy to do the work.

Also the subject of setup costs has been raised here at least twice in the last few months. If you have a specific job that needs doing I'm sure you'd get a better response

As to Amps, pedals and custom work (whatever that may entail?) I have no idea.

I took my Gibson LP baritone, to a complete workout by bridge, intonation and setup. ....shheeesshhh, I ended up doing it all over by myself... except some polishing wax they put on...:mad:
Well, they only charged 20 bucks...:o

I personally run like this:

$40/hour for amp/electronic work. $20 bench charge for evals, waived if I can't find the problem or you have me do the repair, or it's something obvious like a bad speaker or tubes.

So, what would I need to do to retube the preamp section of a Peavey 6505?

My dad basically has been adept at fixing consumer electronics since the 70's, he said retubing an amp was pretty simple, and I should just try and do it myself. He explained roughly how, but he has a tendancy to assume everyone undersstands the language he is speaking.

What are the risks, am I likely to fry my amp, am I likely to fry myself? Or the tubes? How exactly, in laymens terms, would do it? Are there things to bear in mind? I can manage with electronics if I know exactly what I'm doing, but won't touch them if I'm not sure.

Sorry to hiijack.

Back