Avantone MixCubes Passive Studio Mini-Reference Monitors

ste20man

Hi,

I am currently using a pair of KRK Rokit 5's as my main monitors and have read an article by Mike Senior that says you should have a pair of grotbox's.

Do you think that there is a big enough difference between what I am using now and the Avantone MixCubes?

Are they useful?

Cheers, Ste.

Ideally there should be a huge difference between the KRK's and the mix cubes.

The Avantone speakers are designed to mimic the infamous Auratone "Horrortones". Small, single driver. In a box. Full range. No crossover.

The idea with these things in the old days was to hear what your mixes might translate like on challenged listening systems. Old, mono TV sets. Clock radios. AM. They're not intended to be nice sounding speakers.

The advantage is that without a crossover these things are very revealing in the midrange. Anything with a crossover in it is going to have a hole in the response somewhere around the crossover point. These don't. They're not really intended as a primary mix monitor and shouldn't be your only monitors, but they can be very useful tools for dialing in the mids. Even if you just get one and use it in mono.

Awfultones were used to give studios a severely limited-range, short-throw, narrow dispersion "little speaker emulation" for (as mentioned).

You're already using severely limited-range, short-throw, narrow dispersion "little speakers" (except they have a crossover and might go 5 or 6Hz lower).

I have used the MixCubes and I did find them useful for what they are designed for. You can mix on them but it is a challenge, but they give a good reference point. If your mix sounds good on them it will usually sound good in a crappy system, which usually means it will sound good on nice system. I would not use them as your only monitors just as a reference.

You're already using severely limited-range, short-throw, narrow dispersion "little speakers" (except they have a crossover and might go 5 or 6Hz lower).

This is what I'm getting at I think, are the avantones going to be sonically much more different than the KRK Rokit 5's?

I would like a second pair of monitors for the above mentioned reasons from snow lizard but am wondering if it would be better to buy a cheap pair of PC speakers? Would they do the job of representing the mids and of representing bad sound systems?

Cheers for your advice, Ste.

I would like a second pair of monitors for the above mentioned reasons from snow lizard but am wondering if it would be better to buy a cheap pair of PC speakers? Would they do the job of representing the mids and of representing bad sound systems?
(How do I put this without... er...)

The speakers you're using are already representing a severely limited range system. They are a severely limited range system. If you're going to add speakers, add a system that you can actually trust - instead of something that's totally worthless (like PC speakers, which are about as handy for reference as a set of headphones).

If you wind up with a set of less "limited in scope" speakers that you can actually trust, you won't find nearly as much use jumping to "the little speakers" -- UPgrade - Don't downgrade.

I'm with Massive, you are already using something like that. If you are going to get another set of monitors, they should be better than the ones you have, not worse.

Ok, I'm on board with the idea of up not down. As you guys have more experience than I do(not hard :facepalm:), what spend on monitors would you suggest? Is there a level where you get to a workable position? Is there a standard that most would agree 'that's a great monitor'. Something where I could do some equivalent research if you know what I mean.

That could be another stupid question, I'm full of them unfortunately. :) Ta.

Just staying within the KRK line: The rockit 8's would be a step up and the rokit rp10-3 would be a step up from that.

The main problem with the 5's is they just don't push any low end. You need a bigger monitor with more power in order to start getting good enough low end to really have a balanced view of the audio spectrum.

Most monitor companies make good monitors, once you get into the ones with bigger drivers. So you really have to go and listen to a bunch and choose the ones that will allow you to make the best mixes with your ears.

Thanks, can see what you mean. Will check out some at my local store to see what is what. Thanks for all your help, Ste. :)

Back