Avalon U5

jay clarke

Hello, ive bought an avalon U5 for DI bass recording and I was wondering how I get the best out of it connections wise. Do i need an anologue to digital converter or something, or is it fine just to connect the U5 strait into the computer

If you got a way to coonect it to a computer then something you have has an ad converter. Now if it's a good one is a differant story entirely. In other word this question can't be answered very well with the limited amount of info you posted.

well at the moment I'm just using a mic lead to mini jack connector, is this bad? does it make a lot of difference?

jay clarke said:
Hello, ive bought an avalon U5 for DI bass recording and I was wondering how I get the best out of it connections wise. Do i need an anologue to digital converter or something, or is it fine just to connect the U5 strait into the computer
Run the line out from your DI into your computer's soundcard. Your soundcard(even if it's stock) contains converters. You may need some adapters though,
as most stock soundcards have an 1/8 in. jack input.

You can adjust the soundcard to receive a line level signal in your control panel->Sounds and audio devices->audio tab->recording volume->select line in :)

If you went to the expense to buy a U5, I'd suggest upgrading the sound card to a "pro" grade one. Consumer sounds cards like the ones shipped in computers are usually geared for good playback, but not recording. They are designed to convert voice over IP, and other low demand activity that doesn't require top end converters. Using the configuration you have now is acceptable, but far short of the results you will get with an upgrade.

So you want to use a DI (the U5) and go directly into a computer with out a mic pre? If you can get the U5 you should get a "recording" soundcard with a mic pre on it. But you can try it U5 > Line-in stock computer sound card for the fun of it and see if it works.

fldrummer said:
So you want to use a DI (the U5) and go directly into a computer with out a mic pre? If you can get the U5 you should get a "recording" soundcard with a mic pre on it. But you can try it U5 > Line-in stock computer sound card for the fun of it and see if it works.
U5 is a pre.

Interesting

Thanks for the imput.

So the general just seems to be that it would be worthwhile for me to invest in a "recording" soundcard rather then using my current one?

Can anybody reccomend any good ones?

well...

I liked the E-mu 0404 that I got with proteusX. It was good at the time, I haven't used it in a while though to compare it with anything. The types of connections on it are good too.

Back