Avalon M5

Jburn34

Well I just had the chance to try an Avalon m5 tonight through a Studio Projects C1, an sm57, and a beta 58, and then an octava mc012 on acoustic. I'll be trying it on an AT 4047 tomorrow. That thing ROCKS!! I used a universal audio 6176 the night before and it wansn't what I was looking for on vocals...I actually liked my dmp3 better overall. I know that the 6176 has several other uses so I probably didn't get a good overall feel for it.

But I love the clean sound of the m5...That thing is crystal clear. In my vocal dead room, it usually sounds really really bland until you add reverb and some high's. The m5, even with the 57, sounded like it didn't need anything. Has anyone had experience with this unit?

I'd like to hear what others think about this preamp.

Jeremy

Last edited:
I had an aquaintence buy one at Musicians friend clearence center for just under $500. I wish I had gotten there first.

Frankly, for $1500 or so new, I can't imagine why anybody would buy this unit, when for about $2000, you can get an AD2022, which is basically 2 of them! I own an AD2022, and it is a truly great pre. Aside from that, it is one bitchin' bass DI box. It sounds good with everything from the B.L.U.E. Kiwi, right down to cheap dynamics. I've done some vocal tracks with it using an AKG D770, and it's lovely. In combo with an AKG C414B-ULS, it has given me the best acoustic guitar tracks I've gotten. I have to say I love it.-Richie

Rich,
A couple of questions:
1. Where do you get an AD2022 for $2000? The least I've seen is $2500.
2. How did your recent customer service problem with Avalon turn out?
Dave S.

Yo Dave, I lied. Actually, it was $2100, and Chad did that at the Natick, Mass. Guitar Center. Rule one, never buy on line when you can grind a salesman's balls.
As far as Avalon design goes, I finally got a human from Avalon. The box has been shipped, and I'll probably see it in about 2 weeks. I'll keep you posted.-Richie

Back