Aux Sends

strangedayz

Hi all,

I'm tring to get headphone monitoring out of my small yamaha analogue desk. I thought I could use the Sends (there are two) but for some reason the signal is only coming out of one side of the phones.

Am I doing something wrong?

Are they left and right outputs (sends)? Did you get an adapter to plug into both to a stereo headphone jack?

Thanks for the reply :D

The returns are stereo (L & R + mono) but the sends dont say they're L & R.

It's a Yamaha MG12/4.

There are two sends and it doesnt seem to matter which one I use the signal seems to only come out the left side of the phones.

Yeah they are separate left and right. You need either an adapter to go from both to the stereo headphone jack, or a 2-conductor-to-3 conductor adapter whihch will give you a mono signal in both earpieces.

I dont have a headphone amp and I'm recording a band.

You could pick up a headphone splitter type cable from Radio Shack- though I probably wouldn't try to run more than 2 sets of headphones. You can get a headphone amp cheap- about ~$100.

I'm curious how you are setup where you're doing a whole band and need cans for everyone? How many tracks are you recording at once? When I record my entire band, I just mic up everything hit record and we play- all in the same room at the same time- no headphones. Pretty much the only time I use headphones is when overdubbing vocals or acoustic instruments.

Funny, I get a fucking full on mono signal from the ST out.. L or R... so I guess I'll use that.

So I'm trying to just get 4 phones out.

I'm running an o1v into a profire 32 and recording a basic rock band. Drums will be tracked first with scratch everything apart from vox - dude will not be singing when tracking drums. I can get 1 from the phones of the o1v but that will be for my own monitoring.

I just want everyone to hear each other - old school rock band they need to "feel it" :cool:

Again - an adapter to go from the two sends - are they RCAs, 1/4" or 1/8"? - to a stereo headphone jack, then you can use splitters on that - 3 Y-s will give you 4 open jacks, although there may be an impedance issue makign the signals week or noisy at that point.

Take a look at your headphone plug - 3 contacts (left, right and common). Take a look at the Send jack - 2 contacts - Left (or Right) and common. See the problem?

Hi all,

I'm tring to get headphone monitoring out of my small yamaha analogue desk. I thought I could use the Sends (there are two) but for some reason the signal is only coming out of one side of the phones.

Am I doing something wrong?

You were attempting to drive a low impedance stereo load with an impedance balanced mono line out. It uses one amplifier and some resistors, and is not designed to drive headphones in stereo or mono.

The ST out is active balanced. It has two amps putting out opposite polarity but otherwise identical signals. It is managing to drive both sides of your phones, but not the way you really want.

What will solve your problem is a headphone amplifier. I hate to say it, but on a budget a good option is the Behringer HA4700. They tend to be a bit noisy, but the feature set is just what you need. Connect it using balanced cables. It has stereo/2-channel input, 4 independent outputs and can manage the stereo/mono issues you're having. If you can afford it get something better, just don't expect plugging phones directly into line outs to be any kind of real solution.

Thanks very much everyone.

I may try getting the cables but I knew I'd have to get a headphone amp sooner or later so I guess I may as well.

At least I know now why it wasnt working and what the alternatives are.

Thanks again. :)

Good luck with that bro. But just as a matter of personal experience, the band wants to "feel it" doesn't want headphones... only the engineer guy needs those, the band will want to rock hearing what it sounds like all jamming together and that's that... kind of attitude. A close mic on all the amps and a couple of 'overall' room mics and they'll be nice comfy old jammers... start strapping headphone mixes to them and they'll lose that 'feeling' and start thinking to hard about what they are doing instead of just rocking together. Just from my own experience with headphone 'jams'. +$0.02

Cheers.

I guess its a matter of do I isolate the drums and get the guys to use cans or do I forget the cans then risk bleed from amps?

I really want to get a good drum sound.

I guess I'll try both.

Funny, I get a fucking full on mono signal from the ST out.. L or R... so I guess I'll use that.
The ST out is balanced. You are getting signal in both phones but the two sides are out of phase with each other. The aux sends are unbalanced, so there is no signal in the right can.

Back