aux send/return on vf160ex

gbdweller

Structural Member
Hello,
Just purchased a vf160ex. I am impressed with the unit but the manual is TERRIBLE! I'm a little confused by the aux send/return and how it is applied. The schematic shows the jack as a TRS jack with a send from the tip and the ring to separate external processors and the sleeve as a ground but no return to anywhere. I'd like to run my SPX90 as an external processor when recording to channel 7/15 or 8/16. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks for the reply. I visited the Fostex site and found that out. I'm used to live situations where there is always a send and return. It is actually a good thing because I will send my tracks mono to the SPX 90 and record them stereo. Gotta love the digital world.

i don't understand why people say the instruction book for this is awful, i've found the answer to every question i've had about it in a matter of seconds. then again i have the vf16..

Returns are (usually) just additional inputs. The VF is no different.
Perhaps the confusion is because of the TRS jack on the Aux sends? In lots of mixers a TRS is used for channel inserts, in a 'send and return' combined arrangement (the VF has this)
The Aux on the VF is a different arrangement. It provides two separate outputs/sends. The tip is Aux One output, the ring is Aux two output, and the sleeve is a common ground. It's not the smplest arrangement, but it saves jack-socket space.

Orc

treymonfauntre said:
i don't understand why people say the instruction book for this is awful, i've found the answer to every question i've had about it in a matter of seconds. then again i have the vf16..
I don't get it either. Seems pretty clear and straight forward to me. I've got the vf160.

mharr552000 said:
I don't get it either. Seems pretty clear and straight forward to me. I've got the vf160.

It depends. People who are new to recording or have an analog background, are likely to have the most problems. If you're familiar with the concept of digital (harddisk)recording, the manual is pretty straightforward, and possibly not needed at all.

It seems to me, an analogue background is just the thing to help sort out the current query about sends/returns. It was the same on my Fostex 160 4-tracker as it is on the VF160 (BTW, I think this shows that Fostex only have a few model numbers - they just recycle them!)

orc

Last edited:
gomp said:
It depends. People who are new to recording or have an analog background, are likely to have the most problems. If you're familiar with the concept of digital (harddisk)recording, the manual is pretty straightforward, and possibly not needed at all.
Nah, I don't think so. I had a Tascam PortaOne 4-track cassette from 1986 to 1990. I completely ignored this recording stuff until April 2004, when I bought the vf160. I think it has to do with reading comprehension and attention span. Although I did download a PDF manual and read it three or four times before I bought my vf160. So I was pretty familiar with it before I even touched it.

mharr552000 said:
Although I did download a PDF manual and read it three or four times before I bought my vf160. So I was pretty familiar with it before I even touched it.
Damn, finally some else as anal as me! :D

I should probably clarify the 'manual issue'. The vf160ex manual has most of the information needed to operate the machine but does not offer information to help engineers new to the task to hone their craft. While new to recording, I do not suffer from a reading comprehension definciency, nor do I have a limited attention span. I just lack the recording experience necessary to decipher such vague phrases as 'see additional information' or 'refer to a previous section' and apply them to my initial recordings without becoming somewhat irritated. The bottom line is that the manual, while containing most of the information necessary to 'operate' the unit, is poorly arranged and does not help the budding engineer make the most of what the machine can do. All of that being said (yes, I know, way too much!) the vf160ex is a great machine and I was able to create a quick 4 minute tune that my bandmates flipped over, and all within a week of setting the unit up. Good job Fostex!!

gomp said:

Well, as it happens, I wrote volume 7 of the new Encyclopaedia Brittanica, and in my view the VF160 manuals leave a lot to be desired.

Just kidding.

Back