Aux Recording with a Fostex XR-5

v6v6v6

I've had the Fostex XR-5 4-track cassette recorder for years, but haven't used the aux send/return until now. For example, this was my regular hookup for the guitar: Guitar --> Effects Processor --> Fostex Input. Now my guitar is hooked up directly to the Fostex input and the effects processor is hooked up to the Fostex aux send/return.

The problem is that the recording results in an undesired doubling effect, as if I'd recorded both the original signal and the effects signal. What I want is just the effects signal.

So my questions are... A) Is this what universally happens when you use aux? B) If not, how do I get just the effects signal?

BTW, I'm not actually recording to cassette but sending the stereo signal to my M-Audio soundcard. I can provide further details on my setup, if necessary.

Last edited:
Does anyone have an answer for this? I thought this might've been specific to my Fostex 4-track, but perhaps this is more of a general question that needs to be in Recording or something like that?

v6v6v6 said:
Does anyone have an answer for this? I thought this might've been specific to my Fostex 4-track, but perhaps this is more of a general question that needs to be in Recording or something like that?
Is there a selector switch on the unit that you can switch over to aux? Or maybe you can only record on certain tracks with it? I'm sorry I am not familiar with your unit. But maybe that's the cause....

i'll try my best to describe how i've got it setup...

- the guitar is plugged into the input jack for channel 1
- channel 1 aux selector is set to "channel" (as opposed to foldback)
- input selector for channel 1 is set to "input" (as opposed to tape)
- channel 1 is set to level 7 (out of 10)
- channel 1 level switch is set to medium (-30 dbV, as opposed to high, -10 dbV, and low, -50 dbV)
- channel 1 equalizer (high and low) knobs are set to 0
- channel 1 pan knob is set to middle
- channel 1 foldback knob is set to 0 (which shouldn't matter since aux selector is set to "channel"?)
- the aux 1 send output is connected to the effects processor input
- aux send knob for channel 1 is set to aux 1 (as opposed to aux 2) and is set to level 4 (out of 4) (according to the manual, this controls the level of the signal which is sent to the effects processor)
- the effects processor output (left mono) is connected to the aux 1 return input (left mono)
- aux return knob is set to level 7 (out of 10) (this controls the level of the now-affected signal from the effects processor back to the fostex)
- master volume is set to 7 (out of 10)
- stereo outputs (left and right) are connected to sound card inputs (left and right)
- signal is recorded using guitar tracks pro

again, the undesired effect that i'm getting is a doubling of 1) the original unaffected signal and 2) the affected signal.

I have looked over your settings, and double-checked it against the XR-7 manual (couldn't find the XR-5, it's out of production), and you are doing everything right. Unless the signal going to your soundcard is the issue. It's possible that since you are not recording it on the unit that you are monitoring both signals and that is getting transferred to your soundcard....
I may be way off, and you are probably frustrated with me, but that's all I can think of. I hope someone who uses a multitracker as a mixer can help you.
I admit defeat, and I am sorry.

rokket, you've been very helpful--if anything at all it made me look more carefully at my setup. i've got some ideas that i'm gonna try tonight when i get home. thanks.

it doesn't make any sense to me, but i think i've found a solution:

1) the input level switch needs to be on high (-10 dbV) (weakens the original guitar signal)
2) the aux return level needs to be at max (10 of 10) (boosts the affected signal)

according to the manual, the level switch sets the output level of the sound source connected to the input channel. it says to use this level for "high output level devices such as synthesizers or instruments that have been sent through an effects processor. well, this is obviously not the case but if i set the level switch to either mid (-30 dbV, recommended for electric guitars, electric basses, drum machines, etc.) or low (-50 dbV, recommended for low outpul level devices such as microphones) the original signal cuts through loud and clear.

so it works... does this make sense?

Actually it does. It's the same for the fold back knob, one side goes one way the other side goes the other. Eeeeh, that sounded like garbage. Basically, they are not like volume knobs, they are more like your panning knobs, if that makes sense. They simply route your signal to another bank (or buss). I was going to suggest you reverse your settings, and it looks like that's what you did.

actually, i understand the dual-purpose knobs so those weren't the problem. my issue was the fact that i have to weaken the input signal (high, med, low) so that the aux signal comes through clean. i'll figure it out someday... for now things are good! :)

v6v6v6 said:
actually, i understand the dual-purpose knobs so those weren't the problem. my issue was the fact that i have to weaken the input signal (high, med, low) so that the aux signal comes through clean. i'll figure it out someday... for now things are good! :)
Ok, well just go have fun with it. That's the important thing, in my eyes. If it isn't enjoyable, might as well take up basket weaving or smacking yourself in the head with a tire iron..... :D

Back