Automation, controllers and links?

I Got Riffs

I'm using FL Studio 9 and I'm trying to understand the relationship between midi data and automation. I hooked up a keyboard to use as a midi controller, and the keys were working fine, but the mod wheel wasn't functioning. So I need to setup some other sort of connection to be able to use it? I experienced something similar with Roland v-drums. Everything worked fine except for the cymbal chokes. So the chokes aren't actually midi notes - they send some other sort of data similar to the mod wheel on the keyboard. I did some reading about it and there's all this stuff about multi-links and "global" settings... I'm having a hard time understanding it, but am I on the right track here?

Also, if anyone here knows FL Studio very well, I've been trying to figure out a shortcut for recording. I usually use the option for "one-click" audio recording to record into the playlist as an audio clip. But it's actually two clicks and I'd rather not have to use the mouse at all. A keyboard shortcut would be way more convienient. And I've been thinking about getting a new controller - like an M-Audio keyboard. It would be nice if I can just use the "record" button on that.

I'm using FL Studio 9 and I'm trying to understand the relationship between midi data and automation. I hooked up a keyboard to use as a midi controller, and the keys were working fine, but the mod wheel wasn't functioning. So I need to setup some other sort of connection to be able to use it? I experienced something similar with Roland v-drums. Everything worked fine except for the cymbal chokes. So the chokes aren't actually midi notes - they send some other sort of data similar to the mod wheel on the keyboard. I did some reading about it and there's all this stuff about multi-links and "global" settings... I'm having a hard time understanding it, but am I on the right track here?

Also, if anyone here knows FL Studio very well, I've been trying to figure out a shortcut for recording. I usually use the option for "one-click" audio recording to record into the playlist as an audio clip. But it's actually two clicks and I'd rather not have to use the mouse at all. A keyboard shortcut would be way more convienient. And I've been thinking about getting a new controller - like an M-Audio keyboard. It would be nice if I can just use the "record" button on that.

I don't use FL Studio but if it's like any other major sequencer, it should have a MIDI mapping system that tells you what CC (Continuous Controller) number is mapped to what function, such as, Volume, Expression, Attack, Release, etc and should allow you to edit that controller mapping. If there is a help function in FL Studio look up Continuous Controller or MIDI mapping. You should also be able to do the same thing in the Global settings of your keyboard. What you want to do is make sure the CC number for, say Attack, is the same in both FL Studio and your keyboard.

Hope that helps.

Back