Automating drums

ste20man

Hi.

Can I ask another question regarding drums and how they are recorded and how they should be.

If you are doing a rock song where you want there to be a big impact going from the verse to the chorus, is it right that you should have the drums louder on the chorus than you do on the verse. Should there be more decibels(if that's the right term).

In a live band situation I think this is a natural thing to do as the drummer just plays harder anyhow.

I'm currently using Ezdrummer and I'm wondering if I should automate all along to get that sense of extra energy.

I'm beginning to think that I should automate to get that 'jump' on the chorus.

Then again, further on, and from what little I really know, I think that the mastering process would level stuff out? Maybe using a compressor or two?

Still, should I automate the drums at this stage to give the chorus the extra volume / punch?

Cheers for your ideas, Ste.

Since they're programed drums then you'd be putting in dynamics that a real player might do? Why not?
I do anyway, if a track's a bit flat, yeah add some rides'. Do small short bumps on keys, guitars, vocals for sure!, usually small and more global (wider) stuff like you're talking about I guess typically on drums.
Then again, further on, and from what little I really know, I think that the mastering process would level stuff out?
May be.
You gona like doing that dance.

Back