Aurora Borealis

Hello Sikter/Eldin,
Nice aural interpretation of sky lights.
I enjoyed it.
1st decaying synth or whatever it is at 23 seconds is a bit loud and sounds a little cheesie.
The ones after it are quieter and work much better.
Good stuff.

Hey Sikter, always loved 'soundscape' stuff like this, especially if it's got anything to do with space. Never seen an aurora, but i got the picture.
No problem with cheesie synths for me, spacey synths go just as well with cheese as does a fine vintage port as far as i'm concerned. The brass horn sounding synth in the staccato buildups/bridges maybe sounded a bit out of place and cheesier than anything else to me though.
Reverb and delay didn't sound too over the top for this. The lead guitar did sound a bit dull compared to everything else in parts, to my ear, but that's probably overcritical and it sounded pretty good as is.

Either the drumtrack is behind in timing on most of the other instruments, or the bassguitar is in front of the drums. Most of the notes played by the bassguitarist should coincide with the kick from the drums, but there is a small pause after every bassnote, instead of the bassnotes and kick clinching together at exactly the same time. If you got a rushy bassist, you could try moving his whole take back a small bit. Another advice for the bassist: it's quite obvious that notes should be hit at the right moment, but they should also be cut off at the right moment. Let your notes sound 4/4, 2/4, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 note or some other variance, but don't cut them of randomly. If you can get a a tighter bassline, the track will sound a lot smoother and more relaxt.

Bassguitar also sounds slightly out of tune, or is incorrectly intonated. I like the soundscape and guitarplaying, but the timing of bassguitar/kick withholds me from enjoying the track..

The guitar part's got some pitchy bent notes, and you'd be leagues ahead if you cut back both the reverb on all parts and the level on that way overdramatic sturm und drang bit.

"Lease this beat untagged and hi-quality for only 19.99. Buy 2 get 1 free! GET YOUR PREMIUM LEASE INC. TRACKOUTS for only 49.99. Email me at downtownstuff@gmail.com"

Perhaps you're pursuing the wrong values?

Thank you very much guys. It's nice to see some known "names" again.
All critics are spot on. My plan was to make a "construction sketch" and then retrack everything.
My playing was really sloppy, especially on the bass which I rarely play.
I need to cut off some synths. I tested few different pads and I think I know which one will stay by now.

The tempo seems to be OK so I'll use it when I record real drums. I got everything I need beside the skills so I'll probably hire someone.
Then I'll record bass line and this time I'm going to practice first.
My very first version was without any drama parts and I thought it was way too dull.
I have probably put too much drama on this one so I guess I need to find "something in between".

When it comes to reverb and delay, I become insecure. I tried to have it dry and cleaner. It sounded better but I didn't get that Aurora atmosphere in it.

I give it a little bump if you guys don't mind. Be hard with your critics , I can take it.
Soo,n I'll start tracking drums and retracking guitars and bass. It would be nice to fix most issues first.

Back