Auralex 'Temp Tags' (I like the idea)

ENIGMACODE

Hello all!

How's everybody doin?

I don't know if you guys remember me, but anyway, I finally finnished my studio - thanx to guys like Rick, Rod, knightfly, frederick, and others :)

I'm ready to install auralex panels, and I see that they now have a 'Temp Tag' method of adhering the panels. (Velcro)

It looks pretty good, as I'd rather not glue the panels to the freshly painted walls, and I'll probably move in a few years to a new place, and build another studio. I know I'll probably have to occasionally re-attach the velcro. (that's ok)

I also considered adhering the panels to 2x4 masonite panels, then nailing them to the wall, but that seems like more work too, and I don't know how to do that without piercing the panels.

You guys have any experience with these:

http://www.auralex.com/acoustic_adhesive_temptab/acoustic_adhesive_temptab.asp

Thank you
Mike :)

Last edited:
ENIGMACODE said:
<snip>
I also considered adhering the panels to 2x4 masonite panels, then nailing them to the wall, but that seems like more work too, and I don't know how to do that without piercing the panels.

Mike :)

For me the masonite has worked beautifully. I've moved my studio twice and moving my panels was a breeze.

I didn't use full 4'x8' panels due to the bulkiness of this size. I cut them down to 3 different sizes, 2'x8', 2'x4' and 4'x4'. This makes them much easier to handle.

In addition, I used pegboard because it's a little less weight and has a bazillion pre-drilled holes.

Using spray adhesive, I sprayed some adhesive on the masonite and some on the back of the Auralex. A small amount (6" or 8" circle in center of each Auralex panel) will do!

If you don't spray the adhesive all the way to the edge of the panel/Auralex, you can easily pull back the edge of the foam to access as many of the pegboard holes as needed to hang the panels.

Click on the Pictures link at my studio website below to see them hanging. These pics are the previous studio location.

I could be wrong but I don't think you will be happy with velco even if it comes from Auralex. It appears that you've spent too much time and money on your studio to cheap-dog it right here at the very end.

My 2¢...

Earl

I had an idea. You could make some panel hangers from wire (coat hangers maybe?) and hang them on thumb tacks. Make the hangers like in the drawing, hook the hangers into the back of the panel, stick some tacks in the wall, and hang the panel on the wall.

Attachments

• panel hanger.png
    panel hanger.png
    10.2 KB · Views: 79
Thank you very much - still looking at Velcro

Hi TravisinFlorida

Hi pdlstl

How are you guys?

I remember you pdlstl ! :)
(I think you talked me into the Suppentown AC unit), which worked out BEAUTIFULLY I might add! I'll get a few more photos up .....

Well, I see where the pegboard looks like a good method, except for the fact that, (as I mentioned), you've still got to pierce the panels to get a fastening means through to the surface beneath.

Ya know, I guess it comes down to:
Which method do you choose to 'deface' your fresh new painted drywall? :)
I think if I can get enough 'holding power' (and I can always add additional velcro later), I'm gonna try the Velcro method.

So I guess you guys haven't really tried the Auralex product:
http://www.auralex.com/acoustic_adhesive_temptab/acoustic_adhesive_temptab.asp

Ok my freinds - thank you :)

Where are you Rod, knightfly, Rick, and frederick?

Thanx again
Mike

Hey Mike,

When you glue the pads on the particle/peg board, you just put some adhesive in the center of each piece of Auralex. This will allow you pull back the corners and edges of the foam so you can screw through the board but not the Auralex.

I use plastic wall anchors.

Hope this helps.

Earl

Back