Audix mics good/bad both or neither?

nay

Just wondering bout Audix mics. I've read some reviews but nothing is better than first hand experience. Anyone have general comments bout Audix mics?

OM5 is nice for live vocals where the vocalist does not have good top on their voice. OM3 is adequate for backup vocals.

D series stuff sounds harsh to me.

Ed

I use the OM3xb for live vocals and for recording (until I finally get a condenser). I really like it for live stuff and I prefer it over SM57's and 58's.

i have two om3xb's that i've been using for recording, and while i haven't been able to get them to work with my top end that well (the top db range looked better than i seem to be getting, but my higher end vox get extremely loud so maybe i'm an anomaly), they've been able to get me adequate results for the most part. haven't monkeyed with condensors, probably will soon. on guitar, i pop the mindscreens off and stereo mic the guitar generally (actually, since it's electric-acoustic, i run my line out, eq'd like i'd have it live, into the line port on my cheapo behringer mixer, and THEN stereo mic it-xy style), and i've gotten some beautiful acoustic sound-sometimes i'll hear it after i'm done and almost be surprised that i'm not playing it at the time. i'd take it before a shure sm5* anyday, and it's one of the better dynamics i've monkeyed with (that said, i haven't done a lot with more expensive dynamics-i figure that in most cases, the money would be better spent on upgrading other parts and/or getting condensors). my guess is that they'd be excellent all-around live mics, and potentially useful recording mics for anyone that's looking into a dynamic in that price range.

also, the warranty i was quoted when i bought them was strong-2 years unconditional, and parts only after that. for road mics that might see a lot of abuse, that sounds sharp to me.

Back