Audix i5 worth buying?

I do want one of these. I heard the little Guitar Center salesman's "demo" comparing snare hits with that and a 57. The I-5 track sounded...I dunno..."compressed" I supposed. Really nice sound, but I had a funny feeling that it wasn't dry.

i just can't decide what mics to get. i bought that DMS5 Peavey Mic kit..i think that was a mistake. i was going to get the Shure Mic Kit that comes with 3 Sm 57 and a beta 52 for the same price..but the dude kept suggesting the Peavey one so i went with it and now i've got to catch up..i want to get a sm57, e609 silver, or audix i5 but i can't make up my mind on what to get or if i should just get them all

I had an i5 and it doesn't have much in common with the sm-57. Big, loose bass response, brittle highs, lot's of handling noise. Maybe that's why the price has dropped so much.

deepwater said:
Its a good mic. Not better or Worse then the SM57 just differant. Worth having in your collection.

Agreed, I have both, but have only tried the i5 on snare, guitars, and my own voice, but I like it.

Me and a band recently A/B'd the 57, ATM25 (my previous favorite on heavy guitars), and the i5, on both a JCM900, and Triple Rectifier. The i5 won for both amps.

On snare it's a toss up, I like them both, but haven't really A/B'd them, and used them both with different pre's.

I'm curious at looking into the handling noise, I haven't used it live yet, but I'll check it out.

The price dropped so much? Last I saw, the i5 was the same street price that it's always had: 99.

I thought it sounded pretty good on my Roland keyboard amp. Don't own one, so haven't used it for anything else. Had a good review in TapeOp, too...

Audix i5

You should be able to get an i5 for about $70 at GC if you have a decent purchasing history. They are pushing and dealing i5's.

I like the i5 on my guitar cabinetover the SM57. I rate is as just OK on snare and prefer the SM57 for that role.

Bart

Back