audix i5 vs. sennheiser e609

ahj

i recently got a firepod and setup a computer in my basement for recording. i basically want to be able to record my band and my friends band live. when i used to multitrack i used an sm58 on guitar cabs, and now i need more mics for cab miking since i want to be able to record live. i think i've narrowed it down to the audix i5 and the sennheiser e609. any opinions on which would wound better for basement cab miking?
thanks in advance, RJ

I LOVE my e609s. It's different than a 57, but definately better in some circumstances. Never used the Audix.

Jacob

I tried the e609 and ended up taking it back to the store. You're right, it's probably better than the usual SM57/58. But to my ear it doesn't bring out the best in an amp.

I auditioned a bunch of mics and the best-sounding one was the E-V RE20. A big dynamic that's an industry standard. Can be had for $300 or less on the used gearmarket.

The e609 sounds very similar to the direct out on my Fender Cyber-Deluxe. Which is pretty good, but it makes the mic redundant for me. So now the RE20 is my go-to mic for guitar cabs, and its good on kick drum as well.

I wrote up a summary on Harmony-Centra; it was still listed with the other e609 reviews last time I looked.

Good luck...

Al

i really like my 609. it's not at all a "full" sound, but it's almost perfectly pre-eq'd for mixing a guitar into a larger mix. and it's perfect when recording the amp in a room with drums, etc.

when i want a "full" sound out of the amp, i always double or triple mic the amp. but that always requires some magic come mix time.

but for a mic that's easy to use in a dense mix, let alone in a live recording situation, that IMO generally sounds better than an sm57, it's hard to beat the 609.

cheers,
wade

Both. The Audix is full in the mids, but a bit dull/dark on top. The e609 is mid scooped, a touch sizzly. The two blended together sound great, and if recorded to two tracks panned apart, seem to create a double tracked feel in one pass.

I have both

Take what ermghoti & mrface2112 said and you have a spot on answer.

The e609 is brighter with less body. The i5 will be more SM57-ish.

The i5 is more placement sensitive than the e609, though it is hard to screw up either.

I've had some success tracking both mics on a guitar cab and blending the two.

My latest favorite guitar sound was using both an e609 and an SM7 on the same speaker (JBL K120), panned hard right and left. This gave me all the body of the SM7 but with the cut and taylored sound of the e609. Instead of the SM7, you could use the i5 and get a similar sound. I use both mics, but I usually use the e609 for guitars and the i5 for percussion. If the e609 is too bright for you, try moving it to the outside of the cone. This will eliminate a lot of the higher frequency breakup in the center of the cone. You will still get a great tone, but with less of the high end nasally bite. Another mic you should try, if you can find one, is the Audix D3. They don't make them anymore, but you might be able to find one used. This is just a killer guitar cab mic. It's very clear and full bodied and seems to have less high end bite than the e609. The D3 is also excellent on the Fender Rhodes and on toms.

Cheers,
Zach

thanks everyone for all the great info.
usekgb: i'm gonna search for a d3 right now.

I love my e609. I've had a lot of success with blending it with a 57 as well. Its signal is really quiet, with very little hum or hiss, when compared to the sm57 - both output similar volume as long as you use the 609 close enough to the source, as it is very proximity-sensitive.

Back