Audix for cheap overhead SDC's?

Speedy VonTrapp

I'm going to be looking for a pair of overheads and I looked into buying a drum kit pack from Audix that uses their Fusion series mics.

I got a couple of SM 57's for Christmas, so I thought that instead of getting the pack, that I'd just look for a pair of overheads, and then a kick mic, or use another existing mic in my locker for kick for now.

So, I'm looking at the Fusion 15 that comes in the inexpensive kit from Audix. Right now, they can be had for $59. So, I can get a couple of them for just over $100, which would be great, as far as budget goes, which is a pretty important aspect of my situation. :)

Would it be worth it? I have a B1 that I could use for 1 overhead, but I've only got the one of them. I'm thinking it might not be that bad, but I want to hear what everyone else thinks about them, also. Although, for $59, if it doesn't turn out totally stellar for overheads, I wouldn't feel that put out by them.

Thanks,

-Speedy

If I were micing drum overheads on a budget, which I'm not, I'd buy two Oktava MC012s. Sometimes they can be had for $99 pair at GC. If not, you can always get them for $149 pair.

This web page is, from what I can tell, the only place to get the Oktava's online anymore.

Musicians friend discontinued them. Mojo Pie said that Oktava's are only sold at GC, as tdukex mentioned, and the Sound room, at the link above.

The link above has the mics for $200 a piece, and a matched pair at over $400.

Can anybody please ring in with another option for me, please, or better yet, an educated opinion on the Audix Fusion 15's?

Thanks,

Speedy

I bought the Fusion 4 pack, it sucks badly if you ask me. They're probably better for live applications, which I've never tried, but they really don't sound great in the studio, or at least on my drums.

Speedy - some other options
1) Mono overhead with B1 - I've done this with a C1 + 57 on snare +kick mic - sounded good
2) I like my MXL603's for overheads - available at 8thstreet for $154 a pair with 2 cables or $199 for a matched pair with shockmounts
3) Buy another B1 and use your B1's a stereo overheads - Dot recommends them for this - should run you another $80

As for the kick mic
1) Use a 57 - not the best, but workable for starters
2) AT Pro25 - $80 from 8thstreet, may be cheaper elsewhere (haven't used myself, but a lotta people like it
3) Peavey 520i - I paid about $90 US second hand for mine with stand, nice mic despite being peavey, should be cheap on ebay - one going now for $60

There are lots of other options - e602, Beta 52, 421, D112, but those are the cheap workable ones I know of.

Steve

Thanks, everyone for the replies.

I'm glad that I got someone that had the Audix pack with some input on that. I was going to get the 6 pack, and I don't think that the 15's (condensers) come in the 4 pack. But, it's good to hear some feedback one way or the other about it, thanks, Zepp. I think that I'll stay away from them for a while.

Thanks for the other options, too, Steve. I've been pretty much using the setup that you helped me grab last summer. I'm actually supremely happy with everything but the Behringer mixer. It does everything great, to be honest, but there is a bit of noise to it. I'm hoping that getting a good mic pre like the DMP-3 will take care of some of that until I can upgrade to something a little nicer. Otherwise, I'm really happy with everything that I've got, in large part thanks to you and your advice long ago. I'll think about using another B1 on for a stereo pair. I just thought, perhaps wrongly, that an SD would be better for an overhead application. I read a few threads that pointed in that direction, although also saw some that said that overheads with LDs are good, too.

So, perhaps I'll just grab another B1. The only issue I have with that, is that I'd like to have a matched pair. Perhaps I'll look into the MXL's that you mentioned that are matched with the mounts.

Once I have a pair over the kit, I'm planning on close mic'ing the snare with SM57, the kick with another one, and then the pair overhead with some good techniques I've been reading about and wanting to try here on the board. I've only got 4 inputs, so that's all that I'm going to be able to do anyway for now.

I was afraid that this thread wasn't going to get any attention with everybody bitching back and forth about the whole DJL/PMI crap that's been going on. Thanks for the replies, because I was about ready to give up on this forum because of the junior high school playground atmosphere that is dominating lately.

Peace,

-Speedy

SteveMcB said:

2) AT Pro25 - $80 from 8thstreet, may be cheaper elsewhere (haven't used myself, but a lotta people like it
Right now it's on sale for $59 from musicians friend. I have one, and I've got some pretty damn decent kick sounds with it.

Just to clarify, I don't have a huge amount of experience micing drums, and most of it has been with the 603's (SD) as overheads. They would certainly add to the versatility of what you've got. But then the B1 will be cheaper...

Sorry to hear the Behringer is not all you'd hoped. Some people have been saying the Yamaha's (which no-one had tried when we were last talking about gear) are better. But getting a standalone pre like the DMP3 is a good idea. I recently got a VTB-1, which I think is great.

Good luck,
Steve

Back