Audix D6

Cageofmind

Audix D6. I have been hearing mixed reviews on them. Some people praise them, others hate them. What are your thoughts about it?

IMO and its just that an opinion its God's gift to kick drum mics. Every drummer I've recorded loves the kick sound. I love the kick sound. Dogs love the kick sound. Honestly though most people that hate it probably just own a competitor and like to bash the opposition you can find a lot of that happening on these forums. I've used a shure beta 52 many many times and liked that mic a lot, I bought the D6 just based on hype(bad idea) but I honestly love the sound and like it slightly more than the 52. I can say I've never heard the d112 at a studio, probably heard it a lot on cd's though, it seems to be the most popular of the 200 dollar kicks. As I said on another post I think any one of the 3 would get the job done for you.

It's a click-thudder. It's got a pretty big mid scoop. Lots of thud and lots of click, not much in between. Good for certain types of things. Most people cut some in that range any way, so no biggie, as long as the curve appeals to you and works for your sound.

Wouldn't be my first choice for jazz, but for many things it's good, with little EQ.

D6 on Kick

I really like the D6, but as Boingo noted its pretty much a rock kick sound.

That's what I do so it's a great mic for me.

Very easy for me to get the sound(s) I want with just a little EQ. It does tend to be very placement sensitive so if you use one (or most kick mic's for that matter), periodically check the positioning or you'll go from real nice to lousy real soon.

Back