Audix D6 kick mic

Scoop

Hi all,

I just ordered an audix D6 from USA (I live in South Africa) to record kick drum (and maybe some other stuff) in my home studio.
I based my decision on reading 100's of reviews and opinions, mostly from these forums. The D6 seems to be a winner over the d112, Beta52 and the ATM25 (which was a second place finisher)...

Music style I'll be recording is like Jimmy eat world, Blink182, etc... Punky rock stuff....

My question... DID I DO GOOD? Coz I cant take it back...

Some call it "Post Purchase Anxiety"... I call it a S@#!t load of south Africa cash to spend on a mic that I cant trial .... :)

Thanks...

Man, I love mine... you put it pretty much anywhere in the drum, and it sounds great. Just make sure that the actual drum sounds good. :) I wouldn't have any worries, if I were you - it's awesome!

I agree with the above post - placement with the D6 is easy as pie. I also found that it works exceptionally well on a bass cab. I used it on my SWR 15" cab through an old Altec, with just a little bit of compression but no need for eq.

I also love the d6 has a great modern rock sound and mic placement is simple. Don't worry I don't think you made a mistake, you'll like the mic just fine I'm sure.

Got it, love it.

Got it, love it.

...and what the others said.

Don't stress, you done good.

For what you want, it's perfect. It will also increase your sperm count, even if you are a woman. Studies show that use of a D-6 on bass cabs can cure cancer.

I like mine, is what I'm hinting at.

The D6 is everything I was hoping for...Starting with a great sounding kick as already mentioned is key.

Thanks to all for your feedback... I can't wait to get it and try it out...
I feel a whole lot better.... :)

giraffe said:
d6 is a good choice.

but seriously, the at25 was #2?
over d112 and b52?

Yeah, the polls seem to put d112 on top, but reading through the comments there seems to be very different opinion from those who actually take the time to write comments...
When theres a comparative "shoot out" the d112 and b52 dont seem to do too well.
Some people really dislike the d112... badly... quite off putting.
I think people tend to just vote for what they already have and the d112 seems as common as air out there.

My thoughts on that are that the D112 is kind of a one trick pony while the ATM25 is an all-arounder, perhaps not as distinctive but certainly more versatile. I have use of them all...BTW.As far as a tom mic, the ATM25 has no real contenders other than MD421's and possibly Audix D2/D4's with the ATM25 being the most robust sounding of all of em. As a bass cab mic, the ATM25 is basically glued to my 2-10 Gerlitz cab with a 62 Ampeg B15 top. If ya cant make the bass sound great with this rig then it aint gonna happen.

Scoop said:
I think people tend to just vote for what they already have and the d112 seems as common as air out there.
true true.

and i'm not saying the atm25 isn't a good mic, it is.
just didn't think i'd beat out the d112 and the b52 for kick.

Back